connaught collections/1st credit

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6323 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hello I hope somebody can help me on this.

I have received today a Statutory Demand from Connaught collections/1st credit. They sneakily caught me as I have signed for the above statutory demand. It came this morning by interlink express. :mad:

I did pay them for a little while on a debt management plan, but I cant afford this now. so hence i stopped it.

There is no covering letter with it just form 6.1.

I have read all the forums on this site regarding this company and have become a little confused to say the least!.

Can they really go forward and make a bankruptcy petition, to be honest i am at the end of my tether with this debt, (previously ran up (jointly) when i was married 3 years ago, debt was in my name so hence i get stung) now I am a lone parent with 4 children.

Would this mean I will be made bankrupt. I have no means to pay, I have nothing to offer in instalments thats why I stopped my dmp.

Im confused on the Subject Access Request. can i do that will it help me in anyway??

I Hope someone can help me please

Halifax preliminary letter sent 17/05/06 charges £2661.00

Bog Standard blah blah blah letter received 22nd May 2006.

received lengthy letter dated 24th May 2006 offering £605 pah!

letter before action sent registered 5th June 2006

letter received in response to lba offering £1801.00 errrrr no ta

court action filed 23rd June 2006

deemed served to bank on25th June 2006

notice of acknowledgement of service has been filed

they intend to defend

7th july received letter PAYING IN FULL!!!

10th July cash deposit £112.58

10th July cash deposit £2869.00

:D :D :D :D

HALIFAX SETTLED IN FULL

Blinky

I would say that the SD has not been correctly served on you and is therefore unenforceable even though you have signed for it. It has to be served on you in person by a process server who then has to make an affadavit to accompany it with the Court documents should they wish to issue a bankruptcy petition. Obviously they will not be able to do this with a van driver from Interlink!

I cannot see anything that confirms toddles post though you could ring your

local Court for confirmation.

Until then it is probably safer to work along the lines that you are going to have to respond to the demand-and within the 18 day time limit.

[You don't say how much the debt is for, nor who it is too.]

Thee is some excellent advice on this website-

Statutory demands - What they are and how creditors use them

it gives you the choice of agreeing to pay by instalments [to avoid bankruptcy] or having the demand set aside for a variety of reasons. Have

a read of it and come back and let us know if you fit into any of those

categories or you feel there may be another one that may apply to you.

Once you have read that page, take a look at the next page to see if your

overall unsecured debts total less than £20,000 and read about asking

for a Certificate of Summary Execution.

Toddle2u: thank you for answering

lookforinfo - thanks for the info, the debt is for a credit card from Lloyds TSB for approx £4000, I suppose i could make an offer but it will only be about £2.50 per week, although I was contemplating going bankrupt myself as I have a lot more other debts as well, ( was going to ask my mum for the bankruptcy fee) they total under £20,000 about £9,000 approx. If they do make me bankrupt, although a last resort, would it be too much of a problem as I am contemplating it myself. I dont know really what to do, I cant seem to turn anywhere

Hitting head against a brick wall comes to mind though.

I do fit in all of the categories, so what happens next.

they intend to defend

HALIFAX SETTLED IN FULL

I am not an expert on bankruptcy, but I imagine that those who have gone through it would probably admit that they would rather have avoided it if possible.

Have you already looked at reclaiming your unlawful charges from LTSB? If

not, do you have any of your statements that would give you an idea of

how much the total of those charges might be? Do you think they might be

a substantial part of the debt?

One chance I can see that you can contest is if you can show that

the bank hasn't stuck to the rules. And you could invoke them overcharging

as a reason for your financial problems. It would be a help perhaps if you also

banked with Lloyds and could show that the bank charges prevented you

from making payments on your credit card, and so you collected charges on your credit card that mounted faster than you could pay them off. In

additon because the bank chose not to pay a cheque say, of £10, not only

did you have to pay £25 for the return, plus a futher £20 overdraft charge,

you still had to pay the £10 to the company on whom the cheque was returned unpaid. Had they paid the cheque, it would have saved you £25.

And those cumulative charges on both your credit card and bank account

helped to put you where you are.

So I suggest you send an S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) to LTSB, there is a template letter in the FAQS-

Step bt Step guide on the first page of the forum. Do not include the phrase where it says that the statements will suffice. This will give you a chance to

argue that it is hard to defend your case as the bank have not delivered

your data in time to properly argue your case.

Send 1st Credit a CCA request with a £1 postal order. They should have

delivered that to you before the Court case since they have twelve days to do it. Might help your case if they are in default themselves whilst in Court.

How about 1st Credit Blinky.Have they behaved in the short time they have dealt with you? Also, as they are taking you to Court, that usually means they own the debt. You need to find that out [asking Lloyds or getting your

credit report] since if that is the case, LLoyds should have informed you that

they have assigned the debt. And I understand that though !st Crediit do

inherit most of the terms of the original contract from LTSB, they should

have asked your permission to process your data. [You gave Lloyds permission

to tell debt collectors and Credit reFerence agencies if you missed payments

etc. But you did not give the collectors permission to pass on that info.]

I might be clutching at straws a bit for you, but perhaps some of the more

knowledgeable among the forum could confirm that. If it is right, you can

apply for a set aside because they have failed to comply with the rules.

If I am wrong,then still go to Court and argue your case. Point out your

situation to the Judge, and offer the £10 a month-IF you are sure that you can maintain that figure. It is better to quote a figure you know you can

stick to, rather than missing a payment or delaying one or two.

Another suggestion is to go to the "Genaral Debt" section, then the bottom

thread by Barracad in the "Sticky" thread subsection. Look at all the template

letters there and see if there are some you could use to send to your

creditors to reduce your outgoings and thus a bit of the pressure off you.

:confused:

Lookforinfo - Thanks for the info, its not so much the bank etc its more of a credit card that i had when i was married about 3 years ago. I'm sure that this amount is the actual amount that was owed all that time ago.

I was on a dmp with this but i cant keep up the payments on it.

I havent informed them of this i just stopped the dmp stupid i know as now this is what has happened.

on the statutory demand the particulars of debt are as follows:-

(a) the debt was incurred by monies due under a financial agreement. The debtor is in breach of the repayment terms and has failed to adhere to the terms and conditions of the repayment arrangements. The debt has been assigned as shown on part c p3 hereof.

(b) The debt is in respect of outstanding monies owed to the creditor by the debtor for non payment of a Lloyds tsb agreement. The benefit of the debt having been assigned under an agreement to 1st credit finance limited.

© The amount due at the date of the deman is £4000

or just to offer them £2.50 a week. saves all the hassle, but they probably wont accept this. as i have been on a dmp twice with them. and twice i have had to stop. as I couldnt afford the amount they wanted.

(with the dmp it looked good on paper I had all this benefit money, but when it came to the payment there was just nothing there.)

I think i will be going to court with these people. as i have defaulted on payment agreements with them in the past.

Im not sure about sending the template letter for the original credit agreement

:mad:

they intend to defend

HALIFAX SETTLED IN FULL

Connaught it seems are doing this an awful lot lately, I suggest that you send them a CCA Request from the templates.

You will find they don't have the info and they will have to request the statements from the creditor.

This will put the account into dispute and when you get the statements you can make your claim for refund of charges.

As for statutory demand:

Rule 6 - 3

(2) The creditor is under an obligation to do all that is reasonable to bring the Statutory Demand to the debtors attention and, if practicable, to cause personal service to be effected.

The court may decline to file the petition if not satisfied that the creditor has discharged the obligation imposed on him by Rule 6.3 (2)

Service in bankruptcy proceedings can also be by way of post, through the letterbox, advertisement in the local press.......depending on the difficulty in contacting the debtor.

Although the rules in place mean that they have to take certain procedures before going to the more extreme service.

If an SD cannot be effected by personal servcie by a process server the process server can post a letter through the debtors letterbox stating that he will attend the premises on such and such a date to serve the documents. If the debtor is not avaialable that day he should contact the process server with a view to arranging a suitable aletrnative date or time. If the debtor does not contact the process server to say he can't make the appointment the process server can post the SD through the debtors letterbox and the SD is deemed served. Hence my earlier post sating that the SD has been incorrectly served.

Sherlock: thank you i have prepared for tomorrow

and see what happens from there.

sorry just a tad confused here is a SAR the same as CCA??

thank you

If an SD cannot be effected by personal servcie by a process server the process server can post a letter through the debtors letterbox stating that he will attend the premises on such and such a date to serve the documents. If the debtor is not avaialable that day he should contact the process server with a view to arranging a suitable aletrnative date or time. If the debtor does not contact the process server to say he can't make the appointment the process server can post the SD through the debtors letterbox and the SD is deemed served. Hence my earlier post sating that the SD has been incorrectly served.

thank you toddle2u, so basically they are trying scare tactics possibly, so you're right! it has been improperly served .

Does this mean if they do take me to court I can then say that the statutory demand was not served on me correctly??? or will it get that far??

thanks again.

they intend to defend

HALIFAX SETTLED IN FULL

Blinky-I wouldn't rely on arguing about the method of serving you with the

notice. In the CPR 6.2 delivery by first class post is one of the options.

6.2 - (1) A document may be served by any of the following methods -

(a) personal service, in accordance with rule 6.4;

(b) first class post;

© leaving the document at a place specified in rule 6.5;

(d) through a document exchange in accordance with the relevant practice direction; or

(e) by fax or other means of electronic communication in accordance with the relevant practice direction.

There is a great deal of difference between an S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) and a CCA request. you can compare them by getting the CCA template letter in the Genaral Debt

section-then goint to the last thread in the "sticky" subsection-the letter you want is number N.

You will find the S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) in the FAQS on the first page of the forum-then look in

the step by step guide. It will be an advantage to you should you read the

articles in that section so that you can put up a cohesive argument in your

defence, by claiming your debt is artificially inflated by the unlawful charges

levied by the c/card company when you missed payments etc, and you

should definitely push to have them removed at the very least.

PS Sherlock is perfectly correct in suggesting you send !st Credit a CCA

request-the quicker the better-don't forget to include a £1 postal order

and send it recorded delivery.

Bankruptcy Proceedings - Statutory Demand

1) Where it is not possible to effect personal service, service may be effected by other means such as first class post or insertion through a letterbox.

This is known as Substituted Service.

The defendant would have to place in court an affidavit in 'support of order for service by an alternative method'.

This would detail previous methods of trying to contact you with regard the debt owing (THIS COULD BE CALLING AT YOUR WORK, HOME, BANK AND LEAVING WITH THEM AN APPOINTMENT LETTER )

If you fail to contact them, or avoid them then the courts can make an order for service of said claim form by first class post to your last known address or only known address.

We cannot say if the SD is incorrectly served as you didn't point out any previous contact with the creditor (and its fully understood if you do not want to).

If you have been avoiding them, deal with the SD, ring the court etc and get clarification for your own peace of mind. (I would say it is scare tactics, but better safe than sorry!).

BUT DO THIS FIRST

CCA to Connaught, 1st Credit, AND A Subject Access Request to the original creditor (TEMPLATES IN LIBRARY)

I would place an additional letter to the original creditor stating that you require clarification of information passed to Connaught and you will seek redress should your data protection rights be in violation. (let them worry about this, everything helps) :)

The courts do not take too kindly to creditors taking debtors to court for insolvency when the real reason is to force the debtor to pay up and as such until you receive ALL data requested you require the pursuing of the alleged debt amount to cease immediately.

SHERLOCK

I think blinky needs to take some advice on whether bankruptcy might be the best option for her anyway given the circumstances that she has outlined. National Debtline or the CAB might be the best places to advise.

Bankruptcy no longer has the stigma that it used to and it allows someone with no assets to make a relatively clean start without constantly being hassled for debts they have no real prospect of repaying.

If Blinky's situation is as outlined, Connaught are unlikely to proceed with the bankruptcy petition anyway as there are no assets or income to attack but she shouldn't ignore the demand.

Blinky, the details I posted on an earlier post do relate to individuals-for

Toddle2Us benefit, companies are covered in CPR 6.2 [2]

(2) A company may be served by any method permitted under this Part as an alternative to the methods of service set out in -

(a) section 725 of the Companies Act 1985[8] (service by leaving a document at or posting it to an authorised place);

(b) section 695 of that Act (service on oversea companies); and

© section 694A of that Act (service of documents on companies ncorporated outside the UK and Gibraltar and having a branch in Great Britain).

Though I accept that there is also a proviso in that same section pointing out that for the serving of certain documents, different Acts may stipulate a

particlar method of sevice. And I am obliged to Sherlock for locating the

statutory notice with regards to your situation. Nothing I have read there

suggests that it would be wise for you to rely on the fact that service was

effected via the mail as being a defence. It may well be that if !st Credits

office is several hours drive from your address, that a personal service was

impratical and a letter was posted after an affidavit obtained.

I hope Sherlock is right that this is merely a means to frighten you into paying.

However it is too serios a matter to rely on this as 1st Credit do have a

history of agressive action taking people to Court to get the debt secured against the debtors house for instance.

Sherlock is right to fire off CCAs to 1st Credit etc. as I advised yesterday.

Normally, a CCA request would halt any legal proceedings from starting.

However as youirs are already underway, with a Court date in place, I am

unsure in this case whether that will occur. If it does, great, if it doesn't,

they should be virtually in default when the case is being heard.

You could ring the Court and ask if they feel that the papers have been properly served and if there is an affidavit in place.

PS I posted this before seeing Seminoles' post

Lookingforinfo - what difference does it make that they are several hours drive away. Process servers are all over the country and the affidavit is made after the service of the documents. It is basically at statement of truth from the process server stating how and whent the document was served. Sherlocks post with regards to service is 100% correct and is exactly what I had been saying.

You also state that he cannot send a CCA request as Court action is already under way. It is not - the Courts do not get involved with SD's until there is an application to set aside.

I received notice of intended insolvency proceedings from Connaught via 1st Credit(Barclays), sent them CCA Request also 1st Credit. S.A.R. on Barclaycard.

I did all of the above (although they hadn't served me with a SD), received statements and am in the process of claiming amount back to reduce the debt.

Don't know about bankruptcy rules, process servers are an agent of the solicitor and they serve what they are told, but they are still involved in the legal process and as such on occasion have to swear oath to their service, hence, it has to be done correctly.

You do have the option of making an offer that is reasonable and within your limits, you haven't said if you have any assets.

Ring round or make an appointment with CAB or call the debtline, or CCCS -

Toddle, LFI says that he is not sure if the CCA Request would halt their court proceedings not that he cannot send it.

It may be that their office is next door, but they would probably only try to effect personal service on 3 occasions maximum, that is all the servers fee would cover, then they would return it to the solicitor for the next step i.e. substituted service.

Of course when/if it gets to court you request a stay until you get the info from your CCA/SAR Requests.

This is of course all irrelevant if you go down Seminoles route and feel you would be best declaring Bankruptcy (over my head I'm afraid)

Blinky, if possible could you provide more details? It seems this is their way to force you into contacting them.

• Haha 1

That was an informative post Sherlock.

Blinky, on my first post to you, I included a link to company giving advice on debt. Don;t know if you looked at the rest of the site at the time, but there are also articles on IVAs and bankruptcy if you are considering them as a way forward. I am not recommending you use that company, if you do decide, it

is just a suggestion to read what they have to say as they give you the pros and cons involved with both options. Then it is up to you.

If you decide not to go down the insolvency/bankruptcy route, then you

will need to make the offer of £2.50 per week-providing you can maintain it

at that rate. And if that is the figure the Court agrees on, then that should

be sufficient to avoid bankruptcy.