Need help with garage! Many more problems...

Phil3822
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6310 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all, took my Vauxhall Cavalier 1.7TD into garage a local garage which I have used once before.

Noise was coming from drivers side front wheel.

As I thought garage phoned to say it would be the bearings and it would cost about £150. Said it should be a days work.

I phoned the garage later to see when it would be ready for collection and he informed me the bearings had got stuck so it had been sent to a blacksmith for removal. Therefore would not be ready for collection until next day.

This morning garage called again to say price would increase by £30 because of blacksmith. Half an hour later he called again to explain the thread on the drive shaft had gone and he cant put it back together.

He asked if I would like a second hand drive shaft put on at another £150. I told him no at this point as I want to see my options. Hence why I am here.

I'm confused because surely he would have noticed the thread whilst taking the car apart to sort bearings. Typically he noticed after the bearings and work had been done costing me even more.

I'm very dubious about the whole situation, from my little knowlege of cars he should have noticed this before hand.

What should I do? He has said car will not be road worthy unless this is done. I have become very untrusting of him and dont want to pay now :mad:

Ask for any parts to be returned for your inspection (You do own them after all) and take then to another garage or engineer for there opinion. If they say that damage likley occured during removal by lack of care you may be able to take things further by contacting Trading Standards.

Have to say,my opinion only, sounds like they have hit the driveshaft on the top of the threads to remove shaft from hub. The correct way would be to use a large punch in the center of the shaft. Look at the drive shaft an if the threads appear "mushroomed" or damage at the top then it may point at the garage being at fault. Wheel Bearings on a Cav can be problematic to get out so the £30 for the "Blacksmith" may be a bit high but sadly expected. That being said any garage worth there salt should be more then able to remove them without any real effot.

£150 for a used drive shaft? You can get a brand new one for a lot less so my suspicions are roused already.

Good Luck

Thanks for your help. I have asked for the old bearings but have been told the blacksmith binned them. So should I pay him in order to get the car back then research and take things further if needed?

I have no idea how to pursue or challange a garage.

Have found another garage who is prepared to pick the car up for me and have a look. Not sure yet though. :(

If you do have to pay to get the car back, make sure you write Paid Under Protest on the cheque or card slip. This means that it is clear that you have not accepted the work and intend to take further action.

Please note I'm not insured in this capacity, so if you need to, do get official legal advice.

This is another point, he has asked for cash payment only. He has no card machine. I intend to go in with my cheque book though as I know he must accept it.

I'm off to garage this morning for a face to face meet.

How did it go Phil?

Did he accept a cheque? Did he give you any parts back for inspection?

By the sounds of it I would stay well clear of this guy in the future. A call to Trading Standards would also be worth while and a he seems to like cash maybe one to the Inland Revenue. Chances are he wants cash to keep it off the books and avoid paying tax and NI.

Didn't go so well. He did not have any of the parts, said the blacksmith binned them. He insisted upon cash before he would give me the keys even though I had a cheque garuantee card. He then tried not giving me an invoice. After I insisted upon an invoice he produced a very basic one saying "work done to O/S front wheel."

The car has now been taken to another garage for the work to be checked out. Starting to cost way more than the car is worth :(

I intend to seek further advice...

Didn't go so well. He did not have any of the parts, said the blacksmith binned them. He insisted upon cash before he would give me the keys even though I had a cheque garuantee card. He then tried not giving me an invoice. After I insisted upon an invoice he produced a very basic one saying "work done to O/S front wheel."

The car has now been taken to another garage for the work to be checked out. Starting to cost way more than the car is worth :(

I intend to seek further advice...

Probably going to be more hassle than its worth, but maybe worth a try at getting the owner to get the old parts back from the blacksmith, so what if he binned them, they belong to you and make it clear you want them back. How often does his rubbish get taken away I wonder? Can't see it is every day a bin lory turns up. Perhaps ask the garage owner for the phone number or address of the blacksmith, see how helpful he is, if he even exists. And the blacksmith should only have the old wheel bearing, not the driveshaft, so where has that gone I wonder?

• 4 weeks later...

BLACKSMITH?????? garages dont use them they are repairing cars not hoofing horses!!!!!, what he means is the wheel bearing needs pressing out which most garages have a press and bearing in a cavalier always require pressing (they are designed this way) so the oroginal price should have stood as they should be pricing on whats required, also you will most likely find they used an airgun on the hubnut and damged the thread on the driveshaft!!!! if it was already damaged they would have known this when taking aprt and would have informed you at that time.

word of warning!!!

it is upto the garage to decide method of payment not the customer but you are alway entilted to a full breakdown on costs and if necessary a signed "paid" stamp with date of payment and method used

remember your statutory rights are not affected under UK law

go back and demand to know why you were not informed of the damaged thread at the time of taking apart and also ask what the "blacksmith" scenario is all about as this is part of the original pricing, if you dont get sensible answer insist on part refund (only part refund is possible due to the work being completed).

in this case if it was me i would be looking for the return of the "blacksmith fee and also the cost of the driveshaft C.V. Joint, please also note i only said C.V. joint and not a complet drivesahft assemble as only the joint would be required for this problem and these are readily available from all good motor factors