Claiming when overdrawn

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6604 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi folks,

I am wanting to claim my bank charges back but currently have a £2000 student overdraft.

If I claim are the bank likely to ask for the overdraft to be paid back? It's the fear of this retaliatary action which is stopping me from taking the first step.

Any advice anyone might have about my situation would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Paul

How much is the charges you will be claiming back?

They could, that is a big could... but if you are still a student then I am sure you could open the same account elsewhere?

If you find this post useful, please click the Scales of 'Justice' in the top right corner. Thanks ;)

How much is the charges you will be claiming back?

They could, that is a big could... but if you are still a student then I am sure you could open the same account elsewhere?

Charges I would be claiming are around £1400

Couldn't really open another account at the mo - Im at minus 1700 on the account and still got another couple years at uni left before I can afford to pay it back

My advice:

Open a 'parahute account' elsewhere.. just in case

Proceed with your claim.

If you find this post useful, please click the Scales of 'Justice' in the top right corner. Thanks ;)

Charges I would be claiming are around £1400

This would nearly pay off you overdraft, which is good.

Couldn't really open another account at the mo - Im at minus 1700 on the account and still got another couple years at uni left before I can afford to pay it back

When i was a student, only 4 years ago... They would let you transfer to another bank, no matter how much into your overdraft was. In the end, you are a student, you are meant to be in debt and that;s why banks want your business. There is no harm in trying.

ps. I had 3 student accounts, all with overdrafts. I recommend you don't do that though!

• Confused 1

Newbie at this - what's a 'parachute account'?

Paul

Sorry, we use it here in the forums a lot!

A parachute account is essentially a backup account. A bank account that you have opened, just in casethe bank you use threaten you with closure, overdraft removal etc. The parachute account would obviously be with a different company to the one you are claiming against!

I agree, open another account elsewhere and then get your money back. They will probably just credit your account with the £1400 (don't forget to add interest), and then send you a sanctimonious letter warning you that if you ever pull a stunt like that again they'll close your account. The worst that can happen is that they refund your money and close your account (which may, or may not be legal), in which case you have to find a couple of hundred quid to pay off the balance.

Robertxc v. Abbey - £3300 Settled in full

Robertxc v. Clydesdale - £750 Settled in full

Nationwide v. Robertxc - £2000 overdraft wiped out, Default removed by order of the sheriff

Robertxc v. Style Card - Default removed by order of the sheriff

Robertxc v. Abbey (1) - Data Protection Act action. £750 compensation

Robertxc v. Abbey (2) - Data Protection Act action. £2000 compensation, default removed

The opinions on this post are those of Robertxc and not necessarily the opinions of the group and do not constitute sound legal advice. You are advised to seek professional legal advice.

• 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 09 March 2019.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6604 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks