£992 unpaid bank charges

bjc_rs
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6354 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

My son owes his bank £992.76 which are bank charges incurred over a 5 month period.

When he paid for something online but there was not enough money in his paypal account it allowed him to do it, and he then paid the money directly to his Paypal account a few days later and it would be cleared. but as it was connected to his bank account they where charging him for returned direct debits, plus the letters they sent telling him about it. Unfortunately he ignored them. When I found out about it I contacted the bank and offered to pay £100, which I considered to be a fair amount, but they refused to accept it.

He now has "Judgement for Claiment (in default)" letter from Northampton County Court, saying he must pay £1,154.76 at £125 per month instalments.

I was think about clearing the debt for him and trying to claim some of the charges back from the bank. Is this a good idea?

Thanks for any advice

I would say it would be as if you do it within 30 days the CCJ will not be registered on his credit report and then as you state go through the unfair charges claim. Did he get the court forms stating that they were taking him to court for a CCJ

I would say it would be as if you do it within 30 days the CCJ will not be registered on his credit report and then as you state go through the unfair charges claim. Did he get the court forms stating that they were taking him to court for a CCJ

He never got any court forms about a hearing. The judgement for claimant letter was all he got. The leaflet he got with the judgement letter says that If he asks for the judgment to be set aside, he has to think he doesnt owe the money and provide evidence to support it.

Is it worth appealing with no evidence?

thanks

He never got any court forms about a hearing. The judgement for claimant letter was all he got. The leaflet he got with the judgement letter says that If he asks for the judgment to be set aside, he has to think he doesnt owe the money and provide evidence to support it.

Is it worth appealing with no evidence?

thanks

If the debt is made up of charges then he doesn't owe it. if he never received papaers then get the judgement set aside on these grounds - the banks do it all the time! Then counterclaim for his charges.

Consumer Health Forums - where you can discuss any health or relationship matters.

If the debt is made up of charges then he doesn't owe it. if he never received papaers then get the judgement set aside on these grounds - the banks do it all the time! Then counterclaim for his charges.

Yes the debt is all charges.

Does he have to pay all the charges before he can make a counterclaim?