Contesting A Will

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 519 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

First, I am really sorry for what you have gone, and are going, through and hope it gets resolved.

This makes for interesting reading and a case history.

WWW.HARRISON-DRURY.COM

Ed Stanley, an expert in contentious wills and probate at Harrison Drury, looks at the lessons learned from contesting a will using the Ilot vs Mitson case.

I don't know how you get on, or could get on,  with your sister. But there is another option if there is absolute trust between you. You can let her obtain probate, she inherits and then makes a Deed of Variation on your mother's will and this lets you inherit, free of IHT, if any has been paid already. Could be a win-win as anything else will be costly in both time and money for both of you.

Edited by Santorini
  • I agree 1

@hunterandthehuntedSome other thoughts. Do you know the size of the estate, whether there will be inheritance tax payable?
Here is a guide and the challenges to claiming under the Inheritance Act.
https://www.brethertons.co.uk/site/blog/claiming-under-the-inheritance-act-1975

My understanding is that the Conditional Fee Agreement (No Win, No Fee) are in claims for compensation (personal injury, employment, medical negligence) where the solicitor is paid up to 25% of the compensation if successful. I don't think it is for any legal case.

Sounds positive. 

You have children I gather, her grandchildren. Does your sister have children?

It might be worth thinking about what would be “reasonable financial provision” for you. If the caveat makes your sister decide to negotiate and/or what you might ask the court, if it went that far.