Trader Purchase. Financial loss for repair after 6 weeks

TJT001
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1514 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have recently purchased a second hand car from a local trader. I paid £850 and it was all fully receipted and he offered a 1 month mechanical breakdown warranty.

After 6 weeks the vehicle is being declared financially a 'non repair' owing to a complete breakdown of the fuel system from fuel pump to injectors. This is by the trader that sold it to me.

He hasn't made any financial reimbursement or offer, other than saying that I wont be charged for the time they have spent diagnosing the problem.

My question, therefore, Do I have any consumer rights or is it a case of 'pay your money take your chance?' Write it off and move on ?

They guy is local and very pleasant and probably open to discussion but I wanted to see if I have any legal consumer rights before making my move. Thankyou.

Your assistance is as ever greatly appreciated.

• 1 month later...

Now should a competent person have reasonably known or forseen this problem when selling you the vehicle?

How old isthe vehicle?

make and model?

is it a known fault?

Is it normal wear and tear/ comensurate with age?

lastly and more importantly, can a trader offer only a 28 day guarantee and then wash their hands of all faults? The law says ful refund within 30 days so his offer was unlawful but as it has passed anyway that is a moot point. What is important is whether it was fit for purpose taking into account all of the above. The right to reject may be gone but that doesnt mean it is a write off but you have to bear in mind it was an £850 car so the main argument will be on what a professioanl should ahve known about its condition when selling it.

Knowing what went wrong and how it behaved/sounded during the tiem you used it will be helpful

doesn't matter if they offer no warranty your still covered under the sales act my dad brought a car that wasnt cheap and engine oil pump failed that was 45days of owning car so we knew they must of known about it and tried to fob off when my parents said trading standards and take to court they backed down and sorted by replacing the engine but my parents will never go back to them ever again for a car

Edited by harwoodshane2k