Car theft insurance claim - advice appreciated

ronswanson2
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1584 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone - I'd really appreciate any advice anyone can give me on my situation. 

Long story short - I purchased a new car for £45,000 and a few weeks later realised I had made a mistake and it wasn't the right car for me. I decided to look into selling it, and listed it on Auto Trader. After a week or so, someone came and looked at it, and actually stole it from me. 

Its been with Aviva now for over 2 months. In the last couple of weeks they have told me they are trying to value to car and would come back to me.

Now - when I was getting the insurance, due to the car being recently imported from Dublin, it wasn't being found automatically on the insurance websites. It had been registered with the DVLA.

So I went through the process of insuring it by adding the car manually - selecting the make, model etc. 

When I had done that the only option it was giving me was a 4/5 door saloon. But mine was a 3 door coupe. Every insurance site had the same problem.

As I needed the insurance then to drive the car, I insured it as a 4 door saloon, and planned to call them to correct it. I never got round to making that call and the car was stolen soon after.

I believe the insurer is now going to make me an offer based on the saloon car which is much less valuable than the coupe. 

If they do that, should I tell them it was actually a coupe so they should base the value on that or would that jeopardise my chances of getting anything?

When I was getting there insurance I entered the car value as £44,000 and I have sent them the purchase receipt which shows I paid £45,000 for it a month earlier. 

What do you think? I am speaking to them tomorrow to get the offer. 

Thanks in advance 

You are obliged to be honest with them.

If you had described it correctly, would they have insured you? If not you might be facing difficulties.

If you had described it correctly, would the premium have been different? and by how much?.

Car was less than 12 months old and you provided the purchase information.  So should not make any odds, if the essential details were the same apart from the body style. 

Of course the car details did not come up when you bought the policy, as the registration number was not registered with DLVA from new.  But presumably you have since registered the car with DVLA and have a UK registration plate.

Check your policy document about settlement of claims for cars less than 12 months old.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Why are they trying to value it?

a) it’s isn’t a write off but they are worried about the basis on which it was insured??

b) it is a write-off??

c) they might write it off but the value will influence their decision, or

d) other (if so, why??)

24 minutes ago, unclebulgaria67 said:

Car was less than 12 months old and you provided the purchase information.  So should not make any odds, if the essential details were the same apart from the body style. 

Of course the car details did not come up when you bought the policy, as the registration number was not registered with DLVA from new.  But presumably you have since registered the car with DVLA and have a UK registration plate.

Check your policy document about settlement of claims for cars less than 12 months old.

Sorry - the car wasn't brand new. It was a 66 plate, just new to me. Sorry for confusion. 

9 minutes ago, BazzaS said:

Why are they trying to value it?

a) it’s isn’t a write off but they are worried about the basis on which it was insured??

b) it is a write-off??

c) they might write it off but the value will influence their decision, or

d) other (if so, why??)

The car was stolen, so they are working out how much to offer me as a payout of the claim