Mental Illness

ste20
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1655 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, 

Not sure if I have the right place but a lot of questions seemed to be answered really well so I will try and tap the available knowledge.

I am a student mental health nurse in my second year and have run into a problem regarding my licence.

At the start of June I had a bipolar episode that finished, declared by my psychiatrist on Oct 6th.

I am fine with this (as you can be) as it has happened every 5 years for the past 20 years.

The time previous to this I took my car off the road and did not inform the DVLA and then when my psychiatrist "indicated" it was ok I drove.

This time because I wanted to do it right because I am trying to "do it right" I contacted the DVLA and just wow.

They told me the date was to be the 29th November to start my 3-month ban and that I was to send back my licence and re-apply after those 3 months.

Can I ask a question or two about this information???

Why did they start my 3-months on the 29th Nov when my doctor told me I was completely fine on the 6th Oct - It has added a huge amount of time onto my ban (7 weeks approx).

Is there anything I can do about this? It's like they picked a future random date out of the air(29th Nov). 

Can I get them to go with my doctor's 6th Oct if I ring up and tell them this is the date she chose (she chose to declare me ill on one day, why do they ignore the date I was well?)

Should I ring them up and if so, what should I say?

Also on the re-application papers sent out there is a section that says:

"where there has been a history of frequent relapses a longer period of stability will be required..."

Honestly, this terrifies me. What is the time they count as "frequent relapses?"

Is it every 2 or 3 years, or 5? 

If it is 5 years and  I fall under that banner say, what are they going to say to me? A 6 month absence?  A year?

It's pretty scary stuff to be honest.

If you can reply, can you be sure to give me the correct info if you can.

I thank you for your time in advance,

All the best, ste.

Sorry this is not an appropriate question to ask on a public forum, because this involves legalities of whether you can drive following a health condition diagnosed by a Doctors.

You MUST contact DVLA with the  full information, to enable them to provide you with the information you are seeking.

https://www.gov.uk/reapply-driving-licence-medical-condition

• Thanks 1

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread