• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Clydesdale Finance charges reclaim court claim issued **WON +£400**

Sophie-Jane
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4427 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

How Legal are Letter Charges of £22:50, And also What is a DRA Consult Fee which I got charged £30 for

If I am able to reclaim these charges I will proceed with the Forms on this site, I've worked out they owe me over £250, which would literally half the debt owed with these by a third

Any help is appreciated

Regards

Sophie

Sophie-Jane@Lyon-Stopford.me.uk

Regards

Sophie

Thank you

Please Note

Advice & opinions of Sophie-Jane are offered informally, without prejudice and without liability. Please use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Update on Clydesdale Finance

Today received an letter after sending off the 1st letter asking for them to refund the charges

Need some advise Please

From the letter

I have thoroughly investigated the issues you have raised and I can confirm that the charges applied to your account are in line with the terms and conditions of your signed finance agreement.

I can confirm that we at Clydesdale Financial Services conduct ourselves professionally and in a lawful manner and would wish to assure you that our charges are in line with all major financial institutions and are representative of actual losses incurred by us where customers breach the terms of their finance agreement by failing to maintain payment. Further, should it become necessary for legal reasons, we can demonstrate the actual administrative costs incurred.

Please bear in mind that the total charges refferred to are a result of you having breached your contract on several occasions and taken individually are not as you suggest "deceptaive".

In light of the above I am unable to comply with your request for the charges to be refunded and can advise that the charges will remain on your account.

Is this a standard letter, or are they correct?

Any help would be appreciated, Can Credit card companies do this?

Regards

Sophie

Thank you

Please Note

Advice & opinions of Sophie-Jane are offered informally, without prejudice and without liability. Please use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts

2nd Letter being sent on Monday

Regards

Sophie

Thank you

Please Note

Please bear in mind that the total charges refferred to are a result of you having breached your contract on several occasions

Is this a standard letter, or are they correct?

Any help would be appreciated, Can Credit card companies do this?

Point 1 - Game, set and match to you - they have admitted that their charges are for breach of contract!!!

Point 2 - If it is, then the person who complied it will be sacked very soon!!!

Point 3 - Credit Card companies can't do this....doesn't mean they will not try though.

If you don't mind could you please send a scan of this letter to: research@bankactiongroup.co.uk

Thanks.

• Confused 1

Will send a scanned copy off to you Alan

Hope it helps the fight

Regards

Sophie

Thank you

Please Note

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone

Just a update on this

I have sent the 1st prelim letter on the 26th April 2006

:???: After receiving No Reply, not even a acknoledgement, I sent the 2nd letter on the 8th May 2006

I have checked with the Royal Mail portal, checking if they have been received, Neither are showing up as being received at all.

Has anyone else had this problem regarding Clydesdale recently, say the last month or so?

Do I phone and check with them if they have received the letters, or when the time limit is up on / around 23rd May 2006, and I still have no confirmation or acknoledgement from Clydesale, do I start a Moneyclaim?

All help is apreciated

Regards

Sophie

Thank you

Please Note

The County Court rules state that a letter is considered to be received two days after posting - even if sent by ordinary mail. I would just stick to the timetable.

Hi Alan

Will continue with the process, Seems at the moment, no one wants to talk with me, no wonder I suppose with all these claims going on - oh well

Gives me more Thinking time

Regards

Sophie

Thank you

Please Note

Hi Sophie-Jane

I got the same letter from them!

Sky

BOS - Prelim letter del 19/5/06 LBA del. no response - filed 12/06

Clydesdale Financial Services - Gave them their chances off to court we go!

HSBC - Watch out I'm coming after you next!

If you like anything I say click the scales!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Sky and Everyone

An update on this one

After sending all letters out, and also clarifying the points as to what is in dispute - Charges levied against my account, which I gave 7 days to reply, the following letter is what I have received

Dear Mrs Sophie-Jane

I refer to my letter dated the 19th May 2006, Your complaint has been escalated to me and I have undertaken a review of the investigation that the Customer Relations Department has made into your complaint.

As you have been previously advised the charges will not be removed from your account as they are in line with the terms and conditions of your credit agreement.

I am very sorry that Clydesdale Financial Services have been unable to resolve this to your satisfaction.

The Customer Relations Department have prepared a report of your complaint, which is attached to this letter, I have reviewed the report and conclude that the findings are fair and reasonable in these circumstances, I am afraid therefore that our complaints proceedure has now been exhausted.

I hope that you find the enclosed information regarding The Finance and Leasing Associiation (FLA) to be helpful, If you wish to have your complaint independently reviewed by the FLA you will need to contact them within 6 months of the date of this letter, For the purposes of the FLA, you may consider this letter and its attachments to be our "Final Responce" to your complaint.

Yours Sincerely

Wilma Thomson

Customer Relations Manager

Now Attchements attached apart from the FLA information

Question

With Clydesdale being based in Scotland and I am in England, Is it possible to claim via Moneyclaim

All help is appreciated

Regards

Sophie

Thank you

Please Note

Question

With Clydesdale being based in Scotland and I am in England, Is it possible to claim via Moneyclaim

All help is appreciated

If you lived in England at the time the contract was signed then you can claim through the English court system. The easiest way would be through any local branch.

If you lived in England at the time the contract was signed then you can claim through the English court system. The easiest way would be through any local branch.

Hi again Alan

Would that be thru similar process the small claims court or the main court systems

I suppose they are just trying to throw me off the path to conclude that its not worth the fight, well they may have thought so

Regards

Sophie

Thank you

Please Note

If the contract is signed in England then you are entitled to put the claim through the English County Court system, or moneyclaim. However, you will need to address the claim to their English Head Office:

Clydesdale Financial Services Ltd

1 Churchill Place

London

E14 5HP

HI Alan

Many thanks for the address, Moneyclaim is now started

Regards

Sophie

Thank you

Please Note

Today 7th June 2006

Received the "Notice that Acknowledgement of Service has been Filed"

Defence Solicitors

BARCLAYS BANK ????????

Litigation and Disputes

Level 29

One Churchill Place

London

E14 5HP

Being defended by Nicholas Hartigan, who is a Trainee Solicitor, seems he wants a good start to his career - LOL

Regards

Sophie

Thank you

Please Note

• 4 weeks later...

4th July 2006

Received the defence & Allocation Questionnaire from Clydesdale Finance - Defended by Barclays Solicitor - Keith Jeremiah

Info of Defence Below

1. It is admitted that the Claiment has an account, number XXXX XXXX XXXX XXXX. To the extent it is elleged that the Claiment incurred charges on her account for unauthorised borrowings (whether late payment fees, exceedings authorised credit limit fees, or any other such fees (th ?Charges?)), it is admitted that such charges were debited from the Claiment?s account; however, the Defendant puts the Claiment to strict proof of each charge and date thereof.

2. The Defendant?s standard terms and conditions (?Terms?), which the Claiment accepted upon opening the account, entitle the Defendant to debit the Charges from customer accounts upon certain events (including, but not limited to, exceeding account credit limits and / or unauthorised borrowing and / or failing to make sufficient monthly payments to reduce the account balance by the required date).

3. It is the responsiblility of the account holder to properly monitor her account so as to ensure compliance, for example, with the obligation to make payments by the required date.

4. The Terms gave the Claimant a fair and transparent view of the obligations and entitlements set out in paragraph 3 and 3 above, including the basis on which the Defendant would be entitled to debit the charges from the Claiment?s account.

5. If, and to the extent it is the Claiment/s case that the failure to make monthly payments and / or her failure to remain within the agreed credit limit, constituted a breach of the Terms, and that the contractual entitlement to debit the Charges from the Claiment?s account constitutes a liquidated damages clause, the same isdenied. The Charges applied to the Claiment?s account were payments that the Claiment agreed to make upon the events described at paragraph 2 above by reason of the Terms. Accordingly, it is denied that the Charges or any such charges constitute unfair and / or unreasonable charges, and it is denied that the legal principles govering the enforceability of liquidated damages clauses applies or is relevant to the Charges, as alledged by the Claiment, or at all, and / or that the charges are otherwise unenforceable.

6. Accordingly, it is denied that the legal principles relating to liquidated damages clauses and penalty charges are relevant or applicable to the facts set out above. Further or alternatively it is denied that any such charges constitute unlawful penalty charges or are in breach of the Unfair (Contracts) Terms Act 1977 (or any other provision), or are unenforceable within the meaning of s.15 of the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982 (or indeed any other provision).

7. Further or alternatively, without prejustice to the matters pleaded at paragraph 4 above, if the Claiment?s failure to make sufficient account payments by the required date and / or to remian within pre-agreed credit limits constituted a breach of the Terms, the Defendant avers that the Charges were nonetheless valid and enforceable.

8. It is further denied that the Charges were unlawfully debited from the Claiment?s account

9. Accourdingly, it is averred that the Charges are legally enforceable and the Defendant was entitles to debit the Charge from the Claiment?s account

10. The Defendant denies that it is liable to the Claiment for the sum claimed or at all.

Signed by Keith Jeremiah

Litigation and Disputes

Level 29

One Churchill Place

London

So what you think

I have highlighted some points in RED

In the other information, part of the Allocation Questionnaire N149 , Is there any other information that I could enter in there, with my Lloyds claim, at least I had the P Mc Namara evidence to quote

Regards

Sophie

Thank you

Please Note

Point 1 - Game, set and match to you - they have admitted that their charges are for breach of contract!!!

Point 2 - If it is, then the person who complied it will be sacked very soon!!!

Point 3 - Credit Card companies can't do this....doesn't mean they will not try though.

If you don't mind could you please send a scan of this letter to: research@bankactiongroup.co.uk

Thanks.

Hi Alan

Re Point 1, I wish to use this point on my Alocation Questionnaire (N149 - Other Info)

They have stated a couple of times in their defence that I have Breached their Contract, So the judge would see their defence to that point.

Now if I do use this fact on the allocation questionnaire, how would you / others feel is the best way to highlight this Fact

Please Help, as I need to get this questionnaire off by the 19th July

Thanks again

Regards

Sophie

Thank you

Please Note

I been thinking on this one too - ouch my head

I intend to apply for my Consumer Credit Agreement, I have the template on my PC

If they do decide to go further down the Line, I will then have a copy of the Agreement - Well if they still have it, as It was NOT provided with my Data Protection Request.

If it is not provided with the Data Protection Request, Then would I be wasting my time and money asking for the Agreement ???

Regards

Sophie

Thank you

Please Note

Hi Alan

Re Point 1, I wish to use this point on my Alocation Questionnaire (N149 - Other Info)

They have stated a couple of times in their defence that I have Breached their Contract, So the judge would see their defence to that point.

Now if I do use this fact on the allocation questionnaire, how would you / others feel is the best way to highlight this Fact

Please Help, as I need to get this questionnaire off by the 19th July

Thanks again

It is up to you, but I really wouldn't try and argue points over their defence at this stage. The time for that would be if it goes to court.

It is up to you, but I really wouldn't try and argue points over their defence at this stage. The time for that would be if it goes to court.

Thanks again Alan

I just keep it simple - leave it blank this time

Regards

Sophie

Thank you

Please Note

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Sophie-Jane

What's happening with your claim against Clydesdale Financial services?

Any news?

Sky

BOS - Prelim letter del 19/5/06 LBA del. no response - filed 12/06

Clydesdale Financial Services - Gave them their chances off to court we go!

HSBC - Watch out I'm coming after you next!

If you like anything I say click the scales!

Hi Sophie-Jane

What's happening with your claim against Clydesdale Financial services?

Any news?

Sky

Hi Sky

Not even a whisper yet

They filed their defence on the 31st May

Sent Allocation Questionnaire off around July 4th - Independence Day

So suppose its still earl

Possibly within the next couple of weeks should hear something back

Regards

Sophie

Thank you

Please Note

Hi Sophie-Jane

I do have one request from you though if I may im having trouble putting together a letter to send after the SAR - (Subject Access Request) - (Subject Access Request) deadline. I have tried using a bank template but it doesnt look right. if possible and not to much trouble could you either pm or reply to this the first letter you sent asking for your money back.

thanks in advance

steve

:-)

MOD NOTE: PLEASE CAN YOU START YOUR OWN THREAD ABOUT THIS.

Hi Steve

Mrs Sophie-Jane

Huntingdon

Cambridgeshire

Clydesdale

( Home

( Mobile

* Email

Re – Account

Sunday, 16 July 2006

Dear Sir / Madam

My request

I am writing to ask you to refund to me the charges which you have levied from my account over the last XX years

I now understand that the regime of fees which you have been applying to my account in relation to exceeding credit limits and so forth are unlawful at Common Law, Statute and recent Consumer regulations. If you say that they are not then you will pleased to demonstrate this by letting me have a full breakdown of the costs to which you have been put by as a result of my breaches in order to reassure me that your penalties really do reflect your costs.

Additionally it has now been confirmed that your particularly high level of penalties are considered to be unfair per se by the OFT who reported on the 5th April 2006 and are therefore presumed to be unlawful in the absence of specific proof to the contrary.

Your responsibilities

I would draw your attention to the terms of the contract which you agreed to at the time that I opened my account. It is an implied term of that contract that you would conduct yourselves lawfully and in a manner which complies with UK law.

I am frankly shocked that you have operated my account in this way as I had always reposed confidence in your integrity and expertise as my fiduciary.

I consider that your repeated representations that your charges are fair and reasonable are deceptive and that they have deceived me into agreeing to pay them.

You concealment of the true nature of your charges has prevented me from asserting my right until now.

What I require

I calculate that you have taken £XXXX.XX. As of the above date the interest charged if this matter also went to court is £XX.XX @ 8% APR, Making a total of £XXX.XX (calculated as date of letter)

My targets to resolve this matter

I hope that you will enter into a sincere dialogue with me about this matter and I am writing this letter to you on the assumption that you will prefer to do this than merely respond with standard letters and leaflets.

I will give you 14 days to reply to me accepting unconditionally my request in principle and letting me know a date by which I will receive payment.

If you do not respond or you do not respond positively within this time period, I shall send you a letter before action giving you a further 14 days in which to reflect. I believe that these targets are more than sufficient for a large company such as yours with dedicated staff and departments.

After that will be no further communication from me and I shall issue a claim at the expiry of the second deadline.

(I entered here the List of all the charges / Copy from the Spreadsheet using Cut and paste)

Yours Faithfully

Mrs Sophie-Jane

This is my Template for ALL Credit Card Companies

Hope it Helps

Steve - Start your own thread, that way, you can keep an eye on your progress, and get the relevent help for your particular conditions etc

Good luck, Just its all now a waiting game

Regards

Sophie

Thank you

Please Note

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4427 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks