Change of allocation policy = age discrimination

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1698 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

.So I’ve been at the flat for a number of years , you had to be a certain age back then, now all ages and couples with young babies get put here , first floor , no garden not a good area not so bad either .

ive just had a letter to say I’ve been taken off the list to transfer to a more appropriate home ,  no notice just taken off, council are saying my age group no longer qualify.. I spoke to equality and human rights council they suggested I complain siting The Public Sector Equality Act 2010. ( The General Duty and Specific Duty)  relating to age discrimination. 

But I’ve also come across this in LAW Quarterly online Mag. 

LHA’s allocation scheme suspending applicant’s ability to bid (R (Alemi) v Westminster City Council)

The High Court has held that Westminster City Council’s allocation scheme suspending certain applicants from bidding for social housing for 12 months breached section 166A(3) of the HA 1996 (setting out which groups of people should be given reasonable preference when allocating housing).

Interesting i thought? 

Whatnot..

Surely if they are no longer saying “reserved for older people” then they are being less age discriminatory?

(discrimination can cut both ways: discrimination against the elderly, but also discrimination against younger people).

Hi Bazza

I really don’t mind who moves here it’s out of the flats I’m after , but now I’m stuck here trapped unless I fall over and damage myself permenatly or sadly get a medical condition that requires ground floor accommodation.   I feel like in old age older folk require the right accomadation for their needs  to help them keep their independence , but to keep me here trapped in a first floor flats is not fair.

as a group to simply eliminate your place on the list due to age is nonsense I fully appreciate there is a housing shortage but by keeping me here is wrong? 

If the council were to have to house folk earlier in care homes due to residents being in isolation it’s certainly going to cost the tax payer a lot more , and as the population is made up of a very large % of elderly this policy is shortsighted to say the least. 

Whatnot..