On call salary

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1726 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am hoping someone can advise me regarding my salary.

I work as an emergency response driver for a private medical transport company.

I work 6 x 24 hour shifts on call(total of 144 hrs) followed by 2 rest days(48 hrs).

I work from my home address, with a company vehicle parked outside.

During my six on call shifts, I must be available to respond to any task given to me (by phone-call) within a certain time. 

As you can imagine, while on call I am very limited to what activities I can take part in. Due to the nature of my role and the need to respond within 30 minutes to 90 minutes I am somewhat tied to my home.

Obviously I cannot consume alcohol, go for family meals, go shopping etc.

Even while attending hospital appointments, popping to the shop I must wear my uniform, take the vehicle with me and be contactable and ready to respond.

It has been brought to my attention that on call time is now classed as working time if you must be at the disposal of your employer during that on call time.

Is that correct and if so, should I be paid at least the minimum wage while on call.

I am currently paid an annual salary of £22,000 for being on duty an average of 6,570 hours per year which would put my hourly rate at well below the minimum( not including annual leave).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

You should certainly pursue this, proving you accept that you should expect them to cut your hours, to pay you the minimum wage per hour for the maximum permitted under the EWTD

(European Working Time Directive).

https://worksmart.org.uk/work-rights/pay-and-contracts/pay/am-i-entitled-be-paid-time-i-am-required-spend-standby-waiting-see

http://curia.europa.eu/juris/document/document.jsf?text=&docid=199508&pageIndex=0&doclang=en&mode=req&dir=&occ=first&part=1&cid=613170

https://ec.europa.eu/social/main.jsp?catId=706&langId=en&intPageId=205

Thanks for the response and links. Some interesting reading there. My employer could not really reduce my hours, contractual obligations mean they have to provide 24/7 cover. By reducing my hours they would have to employ more personell so financially they would be no better off.

To be honest I am not sure where to take this. I actually enjoy my job but now I am aware that realistically I am working for less than £4.00 per hour does not sit well.

Also to consider is the fact that persuing this matter could lead to multiple claims from all other on call staff, possibly ending in serious repurcussions for my employer, even as far as bankruptcy and/or job losses. 

A difficult choice.

why blame yourself for your manager's screw ups.

If they need to change the current system then that is their problem As for the company folding, how will thier clients get their needs met of that happens?

you can guarantee that your emplpyers wont go bankrupt personally even if the company folds so dont feel sorry for them.

If ypu have some good ideas then suggest them as a way fo mitigating the cost of obeying the law.

the terms are far too onerous and you shopuld be working something like 3 days on and 3 days off not the ridiculous hours you are at present