First Direct closing my account just before Xmas

TopBird
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6403 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello all

I successfully claimed back £2000 a few months back from First Direct. I then contacted them to explain that a cheque for £1000 had been cashed when it wasn't meant to be and that this would unfortunately take me over my overdraft when my bills started coming out. I explained the whole situation to them and they said there wasn't anything they could do until I actually went overdrawn. When I became overdrawn, naturally they slapped a £30 charge on me. I contacted them, explained again that this was not my error and therefore would they remove the charge. They offered me £15 back and I refused, stating that I wanted it all credited due to the fact I contacted them prior to being over my overdraft to explain the situation. The next day I received a letter stating all of it had been credited. Fantastic I thought.

Since claiming back the £2000 my account has been managed correctly, apart from this error, and I have been a model customer! I have today received a letter from Robert Kernahan informing me that because I have continued to exceed my agreed facility they will be closing my account on the 18th December and want the overdraft paid back, currently around £700. With the festive period approaching I am begining to panic slightly as I don't think I will be able to set up all the correct DD and SO's in time, with my plan b bank account, for it not to affect my services. I can not believe they are doing this just before Xmas!

I have contacted them by phone and I am awaiting a reply from the person dealing with my account closure this afternoon. I believe that this is a direct result of me asking for the £30 back.

Any suggestions for when this Customer Relations person rings me back??

FD also tried to close my account after I made a second claim against them.

I wrote a letter advising them of what the ombudsman had said about retaliatory account closures, which had no affect, have since made a FOS complaint.

I had a £100 OD which they demanded back, told them I couldn't afford to clear it in one go so offered two payments of £50 over two months.

Hope this helps.

I second what Gizmo said.

Your priority now should be to get your salary/benefits changed over so they are paid in to your new account, and also to get the DD's changed over (maybe quicker to ring the companies concerned rather than waiting until FD cancel them by closing your account, and waiting for the companies to contact you).

It's very poor what they're doing, but you're not the first, and certainly won't be the last, and as far as I can see, there's not a lot you can do about it.

If you found this post useful, please click on the "scales" icon in the bottom left of my post and say so!

The opinions of this post are those of monkey_uk and do not constitute sound legal advice. I am not a lawyer.

--

Halifax Unlawful Bank Charges: S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) Sent 28/02/07 - CC Statement's rcv'd 18/04/07 Bank a/c statements rcv'd 19/04/07

First Direct Unlawful Bank Charges: Settled in Full 12/05/06 | £2235.50

As promised the young lady from FD rang me back. We had a lengthy discussion over our 'relationship'. I informed her that I did not have a problem with her closing the account as I had another account elsewhere but felt that FD were being 'scrooge-like' closing it a week before xmas. She agreed to move the date to the 25th Jan, which I felt was acceptable.

We carried on chatting about the breakdown of our banking relationship and I asked the question 'is there any chance this decision can be changed?'. She said that she would have a word with Robert Kernahan and call me back. She rang back later to let me know that if I wished to remain a FD customer then I was able to. She mentioned that both of us could learn something from this experience and hopefully move forward together in a new direction! As it would save me a huge amount of hassle this side of xmas I agreed.

I believe that because I wasn't ranting and raving about them closing my account I was able to switch it round and had a reasoned discussion. I was very impressed with the lady and grateful that she was honest and open with me. Don't get me wrong, I was furious when I got the letter but had calmed down and accepted that I would be moving accounts.

I'm happy with the outcome now and hopefully will have no cause to go to my backup account. Thanks for all the advice and guidance!