TonyB v MBNA

impact
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6360 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Thanks to the help on this site I have just started procedure against MBNA and also Mint / RBS Advanta.

MBNA's response to my DPA letter was a lettre from Mr S Johnson, Assistant Vice President. Letter refutes any wrong doing and sets out their charges policy and also authorised a "goodwill" payment. It doesn;t seem to have any conditions attached to it other than " I trust you will find this an acceptable resolution." Since actual unlawful charges amount to 2.5 times this, I have declined the offer as full settlement and given them 14 days to respond.

"Goodwill" cheque arrived today. Should I cash it anyway or not?

Tony

MINT / RBS Advanta

SAR

• 3 weeks later...

No response to my prelinary claim so I have just sent off LBA today. Thanks to lots of help with contractual and compound interest from slh542000 in steve v mbna thread my claim with interest is over double original amount of charges. See his thread for more details - he has just won!

MINT / RBS Advanta

SAR

• 2 weeks later...

Received today a "further offer of a goodwill payment which basically now equals my original claim without interest. The letter has the ususal stuff about terms and conditions and the OFT £12 and that they don't agree with my complaint. In my first letter I did not add any interest but following the Steve's thread (see above) I added it after they had rejected my initial letter. It more than doubled the figure. What should I do now? Can I still pursue them for full amount with interest?

MINT / RBS Advanta

SAR

up to you tony, if you have sent off a letter asking for interest then by all means pursue the letter, give them 14 days and LBA then MCOl 14 days later. BY all means compound the charges to get the best interest you can, as MBNA had no issues compounding their interest month by month. If i was you i would write bck thanking them for their gesture of goodwill, advise that it is ACCEPTED AS A PARTIAL SETTLEMENT ONLY and you will still be taking action to recover the interest on the charges, explain that the interest is x amount and you will give them 14 days to refund before further action is taken.

Thanks

23/11/06 HSBC **SETTLED**

30/12/06 - GE Capital - **SETTLED**

30/12/06 - MBNA - charges and interest **SETTLED**

30/12/06 - Welcome Finance - Prelim sent for mis-sold PPI

Thanks Adi,

I have written declining their goodwill offer but said that if they still chose to send a cheque, I would accept it only on basis of part settlement and that I was proceeding with my claim for the remaining interest. "Goodwill" cheque arrived today and has been banked. I have given them another 14 days before LBA.

TonyB

MINT / RBS Advanta

SAR

• 4 weeks later...

Update & question - I have had 2 "goodwill" offers equalling the amount of charges but excluding contractual interest from date of the charge compounded up to date of claim (19-12-06). I calculated using spreadsheet kindly provided by steve (see steve v MBNA - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/mbna/39718-steve-mbna-new-post.html). MBNA have now offered further "goodwill" payment of interest but only up to August 2005 when I cleared my balance and closed my account. Does anyone know if this is correct? My view is they have had my money unlawfully after this date and therefore I am entitled to the interest.

MINT / RBS Advanta

SAR