shop floor limit ?

elgringo
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5777 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

wats this "shop floor" limit abbey have when using your debit card ? i made a transaction using my debit card some months back the transaction was passed so i thought i had the money in my acc to cover it .when reading thru some recent statements i noticed i had been charged for these transactions. one for the transaction and one for going over my overdraft limit. someone mentioned this is wat abbey do, letting you make the transactions knowing you cant cover it then charging you ??? crafteeeeeeeee tw*ts.lol

can ny1 clear this up ?

thx

A shop floor limit isn't an Shabbey thing, it's something that applies to all credit and debit cards and varies from shop to shop.

It's the amount the trader (shop) can charge to the card without any checks being made. If the shop floor limit is £50.00 and you buy something on your card that costs £49.99 when the card is swiped no checks are made to see if the card is valid. In the case od a debit card no checks are made to see if there is enought money in the account.

If you buy something that costs £51.00 when the card is swiped it's checked and will be refused if the card is stolen or there isn't enough money in the account for a debit card.

If you ever have the misfortune to have your credit card stolen the thiefs usually know the shop floor limits of the shops and will use you stolen card to buy things just under that amount.

Postie.

A shop floor limit isn't an Shabbey thing, it's something that applies to all credit and debit cards and varies from shop to shop.

It's the amount the trader (shop) can charge to the card without any checks being made. If the shop floor limit is £50.00 and you buy something on your card that costs £49.99 when the card is swiped no checks are made to see if the card is valid. In the case of a debit card no checks are made to see if there is enought money in the account.

If you buy something that costs £51.00 when the card is swiped it's checked and will be refused if the card is stolen or there isn't enough money in the account for a debit card.

If you ever have the misfortune to have your credit card stolen the thiefs usually know the shop floor limits of the shops and will use you stolen card to buy things just under that amount.

Postie.

I am not convinced that floor limits still exist.

I worked in selfridges when i first left school and there was a floor limit then.

above that we had to phone and get authorisation etc.

I now work in retail and again and manage a small mail order company.

I am not aware of the card company ever asking us if we wanted a floor limit or a floor limit being set.

every transaction goes through the chip and pin and they all get authorisation numbers.

Abbey (Charges on 3 accounts and default on my credit record) - DPA letter sent 30/03/06 - 40 days limit is 9th May - Recieved DPA printouts 05/04/06 with microfiche "fob off" letter. <p>Barclaycard (Charges on 1 account and default on my credit record) - DPA letter sent 03/04/06 - 40 days limit is 13th May - Recieved some statements 08/04/06 along with DPA printout and a microfiche "fob off" letter. Claim for £340 sent 11/04/06

every transaction goes through the chip and pin and they all get authorisation numbers.

I thought that too. The Abbey told me that some would not need to be authorised but I'm not convinced. I can't remember any slips without an authorisation number on it but I didn't keep them so I can't go back and check. I do have a slip for £11.98 and that has an authorisation code but what does this mean? Is it really checked or just issued with a code without checks actually taking place?

My view is that surely in these days of automation, all transactions can easily be checked and so authorisation applies to them all and indicates a check has been made. I would welcome any information from anyone who knows just in case we go to Court with our claim.

Think you are right. We are interested in whether we can demonstrate it. If there is a code on the slip what does it mean?

If we can show that the account was checked when the payment went through we will be able to give further weight to our claim SHOULD it get to Court.

Suspect it's of no matter in the end as they will settle on the Court steps but it's interesting all the same.

PS Hope you didn't get any garbled letters from Mr Smith of the local branch too! We had to scratch our heads to work out what he was on about most of the time!

I believe floor limits are set by the retailer, possibly after discussion with the various card issuers regarding that retailers liability. I know the largest shop in the country set a floor limit which may be £50 in a superstore, if the electronic link to the bank is down then the till with generate an authorisation code after performing some basic checks (i.e checking a list of stolen cards held locally on the tills memory), this enables the store to continue trading with minumum disruption (i.e not having to phone the bank for an auth. code to be manually entered) and the retailer will have to accept that some of these transactions may not be honoured i.e defaulted. Any transaction greater than the floor limit will need manual intervention, i.e that phone call to make sure the £300 television transaction will be honoured by the bank. The authorisation code doesn't appear on the receipt as far as I can remember.

Hope that explains a bit, it does get very tricky sometimes.

Does that mean then that if there is an authorisation code it will have been checked and if not it hasn't.

Sorry to be a bit dense but Abbey seemed to tell me otherwise. However they didn't answer the specific point that only if there is a code on the receipt or voucher then it was checked. They have a habit of only answering parts of letters. (They have now said they aren't going to answer any more of my letters! Think I must have ground them down)

Floor limits do exist, but because the cost has come down so much people tend not to use them. The pin is stored locally on the chip so that is done on the machine. Also another reason floor limits have slowly stopped been used is that a lot of shops etc have fast lines (broadband, ISD, etc) so you don't have to wait for a modem to dial as in the "olden days"

If you find this post useful, please click the Scales of 'Justice' in the top right corner. Thanks ;)

In the case of the largest retailer in the land, if the link to the bank is down then the till/server in that store generally generates an auth code (even this depends on the format of the store) without checking for funds, it's a 'courtesy' to the customer if you like, when the link comes back up the bank may or may not not pay the retailer, as i mentioned, tender handling has many variations differing from bank to bank and retailer to retailer, it is therefore difficult to get a straight answer to what in your case might seem a simple question, I suspect the answer is known only to a select few (who negotiate the agreements) who are protected by the lower mortals you have to deal with. Hope this explains things a bit clearer, I know from experience that people seem to be evading a question rather than admitting that they don't truly understand themselves.

• 2 years later...

SHOP FLOOR LIMITNot generally known. The floor limit is a cosy arrangement between the bank(s) and those retailers whose trading practices include this phenomenon entitled THE FLOOR LIMITDefinition = The floor limit is a pre-detmined figure set by any given retailer, the figure approved by the bank(s) by which transactional payments will bw accepted unconditionally. In effect, those rertailers emp[loying such practises don't give a jot if the customer has the money or not.That customeer now in possetion of the goods, the bank will be oblidged to guarenttee the sum. Result DEBIT CARD GTEE FEE It's only £35The whole fasard is calculated to target those accounts continually or momentarilly hovering on the precipiece OF THE AGREED LIMIT.The following applies only to those accounts whose transactional paymenmts are electronic. DEBITCARD, CREDITCARD DIRECT DEBIT, and of courrse the account is hovering on the precipiece OF THE AGREED LIMITTHE BALANCE CHECKATM Balance Check is utterly FUTILE Result CHARGES Balance check via Bank Call Centre. The balance provided omits those transactions which theoretically have not as yet been presdented for payment. RESULT Balance provided is directly responsible for that account holder to spend more than is actually availabvle.But Not too much more than is available, just a few quid, to oooops cause CHARGES of at least £28 REMEMBER To swipe a card tghrough the reader is to contact the bankBALANCE CHECK correct method May I have my balance pleaseYes of course sir, and How are you today.sir Who me. Well if must know I'm feeling Absolutly TICKETY BOO.Your balance sir is 34X OverdrawnTHE BIT YOU MUST REMEMBERReally, only 34X. Does that include transactions not as yet presented for payment.He/she has to respond RESULT Nil charges

SHOP FLOOR LIMIT In effect, those rertailers emp[loying such practises don't give a jot if the customer has the money or not.That customeer now in possetion of the goods, the bank will be oblidged to guarenttee the sum.

This stacks up with something I discovered when I was struggling with money and noticed that of the four supermarkets near me, only one (Sainsbury's), would accept a cheque with guarantee card when my balance was less the the total transaction I was trying to put through.

I soon realised that the other Supermarkets were much more stringent, and I always suspected Sainsbury's had a cosy little arrangement wheereby, they got the sale and the bank levied the charges :shock: .

• 10 years later...

This topic was closed on 08 March 2019.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5777 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks