• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

NN v Abbey - *settled in full* at last WON WON WON

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1913 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

With reference to the letter I received from the Leeds office today, DATED 22nd JUNE 2006 I can confirm that I am not agreeable to the judgement being set aside.

I do not believe that this matter is an oversight, as you state. There is a least one other person that I am aware of who filed a similar claim against Abbey on the same day, was awarded judgement by default on the same day, and who today received the same reply from yourselves.

This would appear to a regular practice in your representation for Abbey National PLC and is rather too common to be a mere "oversight". This being the case, it represents a serious misuse of our judicial system.

If you are not the person dealing with this file can you please forward this to whoever is dealing with this claim.

Yours Faithfully.

Can anyone just have a last look at this before nnelson and myself send it off before the 5.30 deadline ha ha

REWARDSNOW AND CREDITSCOREMATTERS ARE NOW GETTING THEIR COME UPPANCE, I WILL MAKE SURE OF THAT

Grabby bank are the thorn in my side.

Claim issued 31st may 06

Served 5th june 06

Judgement obtained 20th june 06

Claim amount 1305.19 inc costs

CCA letter sent to Activ Kapital (now in default. 60+ days have passed)

CCa letter sent to Close management(21st june no response what so ever)

Data Protection Act letter sent to Black Horse(21st june no response so far)

Data Protection Act letter sent to First National(no response either.)

DFS has succumbed to my request for a new suite as the last one was not fit for purpose

All letters sent recorded and signed for.

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

already sent the first one. would it be advisable to now send a revised email as you suggest. would that be the done thing or not.

REWARDSNOW AND CREDITSCOREMATTERS ARE NOW GETTING THEIR COME UPPANCE, I WILL MAKE SURE OF THAT

Claim issued 31st may 06

Served 5th june 06

DFS has succumbed to my request for a new suite as the last one was not fit for purpose

Thank you.

I have had an identical letter from the other person you refer to. I will therefore respond the same. Please accept my assurance that this was an oversight, although I appreciate your position and as such an application will be made to court to set aside the judgment.

this is the reply i have just had to my email. any comments.

Claim issued 31st may 06

Served 5th june 06

sent to andrew horton and david cook.

this reply is from andrew horton.

the only thing we havenmt mentioned anywhere is about whether we execute the warrant or not. or just wait for their next move first

Claim issued 31st may 06

Served 5th june 06

no my claim was from the statements and was exactly the amount claimed, the only thing i had trouble with was working out the 8%, i could not fit al the wording on the claim form so left a couple of bits out. but i am not too worried about the 8%, the whole figure is enough

Claim issued 31st may 06

Served 5th june 06

is it worth us both sending a breakdown of our charges now while we have his attention. also does the excel sheet update itself to show the interest today or only at the point i saved it.

Claim issued 31st may 06

Served 5th june 06

This was my reply received at 17.06 ( I only sent it at 17.05 ):

Dear Ms XXXXXX

I note your position. Please accept my assurance that this was an

oversight, however, I appreciate that you are not agreeable to the

judgment being set aside and therefore an application will be made to

court.

;) nn

FAQs: click here: http://READ THESE

Any views or opinions expressed are in good faith, to the best of my ability. I don't like to admit it, but I have been known to be wrong. Check other threads and if in doubt, seek professional advice.

Abbey: SETTLED IN FULL:lol:

BoS M/card SETTLED 27/09:lol:

Aqua CC (Halifax) SETTLED 28/06 :lol:

GMAC Request for refund 14/6; Prelim 31/7; LBA 11/9

First National Mortgage Data Protection Act sent 14/6 Statements 26/7

Cap 1 - SETTLED IN FULL:lol:

Abbey x 2: 50% offer refused AQ filed

i need to send a breakdown of what is being claimed to the court and the bank(or would i now send it to DLA PIPER) also do i show the 8% interest section on this claim or is just enough to state under the s69 thingy that i will be claiming it should i win

Claim issued 31st may 06

Served 5th june 06

EDIT... Please accept my assurance that this was an

oversight ...

Ballcocks! How many oversights can professional organisations like this make before they learn from their mistakes? How many "oversights" are they going to be allowed to make before a judge tells them where to go. Let's hope it's not many more.

Abbey - Won DPA Claim - Aug 06 and got bailiffs in to recover my court costs of just £30.00

Abbey - Won Charges Refund of £1050 - Nov 06

Egg - Recovered £220 due to Customer Services misinformation - Feb 2007

Nat West - Prelinimary Letter to recover on Credit Card charges £30.00 sent March 2006. £25.40 offered - rejected and the bank reckons that this is it's last word on the matter. We'll see if that's still the case when it reads my N1 form sent recently. It has until the 17th April to respond or the N1 will be submitted.

Please check out my web site www.BankChargesScandal.co.uk for Research, Useful links and my story.

Let's hope this next judge has them sussed. I'll certainly do all I can to inform him/her of what's gone on previously.

;) nn

Any views or opinions expressed are in good faith, to the best of my ability. I don't like to admit it, but I have been known to be wrong. Check other threads and if in doubt, seek professional advice.

I'm feeling slightly less upbeat this morning. I am really angry that Abbey seem to be getting away with this set aside tactic again. Is there really nothing else we can do?

;) nn

Trying to send you a message but your mailbox is full!

Settled Claims:

Abbey: £4025 Claimed 27/02/06 - Paid in full 19/06/06

NatWest: £4529 Claimed 10/05/06 - Paid in full 1/08/06

Halifax: £1150 lba 18/05/06 - Paid in full 07/06/06

Natwest CC: £420 Initial letter 25/07/06 - Paid in full 08/06

Woolwich: £1100 Paid in full 28/2/07 + Default removed

NatWest Pt 2: £1700 Claimed 10/05/06 - Paid in full 7/2/07 + Defaults removed

Current Claims:

Abbey Pt 2: £2300 + adverse credit removal claimed 23/03/07

Alliance & Leicester: £1421 + adverse credit removal claimed 23/03/07

Refunds pending:

Capital Bank: Swift Advances: Halifax

Son's Refunds pending:

Abbey: HSBC

Sorry - been out.

Sorted now - it was all the interested people from yesterday.

;) nn

I'm feeling slightly less upbeat this morning. I am really angry that Abbey seem to be getting away with this set aside tactic again. Is there really nothing else we can do?

Don't let it get you down. There will a point at which a District Judge will realise what is going on and will get very angry with Abbey. It almost happened in Whizkid's case. When it does actually happen it will be a sight to see.

Hi everyone

Been allocated a trainee solicitor - Jodie Bilsland based at DLA Piper Rudnick Gray Cary's Leeds office. This firm must be making a mint (of our money) out of Abbey's continued litigation.

;) nn

It may not be due process, but why not write to the district judge setting out how often you believe Abbey are getting these judgments set aside.

The small claims court system is designed so that the lay person can have access to the law regardless whether he or she is represented by a solicitor.

Why not play on this and use it to your advantage ?

FP

what happens with a set aside? don't you get your money? or do you just have to wait longer for it? what does it mean?

Data Protection Act letter sent 10/04/2006,

priliminary letter sent 23/05/06,

LBA sent 7/06/06

claim issued 23/06/06

deemed to be served 25/06/06

Abbey Acknowledged with intent to defend, they have got until: 23/07/06

50% offered + interest, rejected: 21/07/06

AQ recieved 27/07/06,

AQ posted back 09/08/06

Court date 13/12/06

My understanding is that if a set aside is granted, the judge has allowed the bank to enter a defence, and if they do - the matter goes to court. In short, no - you do not get your money immediately. You have to win the case.

It is scary how easy it is to get set asides. Excuses range from the summons not being routed through their internal mail correctly to the specific solicitor's department (despite them admitting the company received it), through to the dog having ate it.

They could probably provide a written note from their mother and the court would look favourably on it setting aside judgement.

It does appear to make a mockery of the whole system.

FP

arh, I understand now, thank you! it looks like it's just another delaying tactic from Abbey :mad:

Data Protection Act letter sent 10/04/2006,

priliminary letter sent 23/05/06,

LBA sent 7/06/06

claim issued 23/06/06

deemed to be served 25/06/06

Abbey Acknowledged with intent to defend, they have got until: 23/07/06

50% offered + interest, rejected: 21/07/06

AQ recieved 27/07/06,

AQ posted back 09/08/06

Court date 13/12/06

Judges always prefer cases to be settled on thier merits, rather than by default. This means that they will almost always grant a set aside motion. The bank will have it set aside so that they can then come back and settle in an orderly fashion. If they let the default ruling stand, then there is a precedent, however small, that shows a case where they 'lost' and had a ruling on bank charges against them.

Robertxc v. Abbey - £3300 Settled in full

Robertxc v. Clydesdale - £750 Settled in full

Nationwide v. Robertxc - £2000 overdraft wiped out, Default removed by order of the sheriff

Robertxc v. Style Card - Default removed by order of the sheriff

Robertxc v. Abbey (1) - Data Protection Act action. £750 compensation

Robertxc v. Abbey (2) - Data Protection Act action. £2000 compensation, default removed

The opinions on this post are those of Robertxc and not necessarily the opinions of the group and do not constitute sound legal advice. You are advised to seek professional legal advice.

No word from solicitors about set aside so I am going to apply to the court tomorrow for the warrant. That may stir things up when they realise what I've done.

I phoned Abbey today regarding their request to me for returned cards etc and I told them I thought they could not do this when the amount of money they want is in dispute. (I think I'm correct with this but they didn't know anyway).

Furthermore, as I told them, I have a judgement against them for a much greater amount. They agreed to hold action for 14 days or until they find out what's going on. They knew nothing about the court action and actually asked me what was supposed to happen next!!!!!

;) nn

I received the following letter yesterday:

Dear MR XXXXXX AND MRS XXXXXXXXX .

Account Number : XXXXXXXXX

Overdrawn Balance : £309.61 (Plus Interest and Charges)

Overdraft Limit : £0

As it's not been possible to reach a suitable payment arrangement,

all direct debits, and other banking services linked to this account will be cancelled. Until you pay this money back, you'll be charged interest at the unauthorised overdraft rate. To make things easier for you, you can call us to make a payment by credit or debit card.

You must return your Cheque Guarantee/ Visa Debit Card(s) and any cheques that you still have, as these belong to Abbey. If you don't return these items within 7 days, further action will be taken which may involve sending a field agent to recover them. If this happens a fee of £45 + VAT will be debited to your account.

You can prevent this and the charge by dropping the card(s) and cheque book(s) off at your local Abbey branch, or cutting the card(s) in half and sending them back in the prepaid envelope provided. If you no longer have them please fill out and send back the form I've sent you.

It's important that you call us today to discuss payment of the outstanding amount. If we do not hear from you, we will write to -notify you of our intention to register default information — the account to a collections agency for full recovery of the debt.

AlanBetts

Head of Unsecured Debt Management

I find this letter ever so slightly intimidating. As I am in the position of having judgement awarded against them, and the knowledge that everyone on this site is with me, I'm OK, but other people, less aware, could be quite upset by such a letter. As it is I don't need this account having opened a parachute account weeks ago but this moght not be the case for others. I also think it is a deliberate ploy to frighten people as Rambot who is in the same position as me, has received the same letter, at the same time. This cannot be a coincidence.

My answer is to request a warrant from Moneyclaim. This will be processed today.

;) nn

I have requested the warrant today so it should go through after 10.00am when they process stuff.

I could have done it earlier but I wanted to see what their next step would be. Whizzkid says it will make things more awkward even though they will still probably get the set aside.:|

;) nn

Just been to check on Moneyclaim. It now reads: 'warrant has been submitted to the court for final validation before being issued.'

Another nail in Abbey's coffin.

;) nn

Spoke too soon.

My request for a warrant of execution has been rejected.

Did I wait too long or could Abbey's solicitors have applied for a set aside and not informed me yet?

Any ideas anyone?

;) nn

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1913 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks