Dw gym cancellation problems

jwozza
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2663 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Guys

I'm having problems with DW gym nothing to major at the moment but was hoping for some advice before things get taken further.

I have been a member with DW since September 2016 on a 6 month minimum term contract which finished with my last payment on 01st February 2017. I phone them today to make a cancellation request to which I was told that's fine but your last payment will be 1st March to which I queried why? They then explained that within the T&C's of the contract you must give 30 days notice to cancel.

On not knowing the exact T&C's of the agreement I wasn't aware of this notice period, considering I haven't attended the gym since the beginning of December and due to the very poor standards from DW I am very reluctant to pay this final amount as I am out of my minimum term and I have now cancelled my direct debit so they are unable to take this amount.

The outstanding amount will be £35 and I'm just wondering if this is worth fighting against and not paying for a service that I have not used or been using in the last 3 months. Also should I go to the gym directly and get written confirmation of my cancellation?

Any help would be much appreciated!

well they don't do court

just send scary DCA letter s

and they can be ignored too

they are not bailiffs!!

if you were not happy with the situation because it was poor equipment etc...

i'd not be paying no

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Cheers for the reply!! That's what I'm thinking the service has always been poor considering memberships are usually £30 a month or more and with this £35 charge due to not giving a months notice I just feel its a way for them to finally extort me of a bit of money before I leave and for the sake of the amount will they really try to take me to court over it I know the chances would be very slim just needed a second opinion so cheers!!

Hi Jwozza and welcome to CAG

It doesn't matter if you used the gym or not; or if you liked the gym or not.

If you want to cancel after the initial minimum 6 months m/ship, you need to give a month's notice, pay a final fee and THEN cancel the DD mandate. See the guide here - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?452671-Cancelling-your-Gym-Agreement-Get-it-right-!(1-Viewing)-nbsp

If you haven't done this, you need to offer DW a final fee for the cancellation period. Read other threads here and you'll find a letter offer a month's fee for just 14 days - the letters will be mainly for Harlands and Xercise4Less cases but you can adapt as necessary.

I suggest you need to offer to pay what you owe first (one final month's m/ship fee). After they refuse to accept your offer, you can tell them to go take a hike !!

If I can find a draft you can adapt, I'll post you a link.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

You can adapt and use this draft - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?473717-Fit4Less-and-Harlands&p=4990040&viewfull=1#post4990040

Get a free Cert of Posting from the PO when you send it to DW Head Office :-

Dave Whelan Sports Limited

Whelco Place, Enfield Street Industrial Estate,

Pemberton, Wigan, Greater Manchester, WN5 8DB

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks for the reply Slick!! Going to take your advice and send the letter and offer a final payment of £30. Like you said if they don't accept it then that's there problem! Would it be worth while taking a letter into my local DW gym and getting it signed by an employee or shall I just send it to head office recorded delivery?

Head Office is probably best using the address I gave above.

Used RM Signed For delivery (Recorded Delivery) if you want, or just get a free Cert Of Posting at the PO when you send the letter.

Keep us informed ...................