Is this right?

doompixie
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6361 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Now, I'm not looking for medical advice, but I've noticed a few medically qualified people on the boards and I just wanted to check this...

A couple months ago my sister was diagnosed with glandular fever and prescribed penecillin in case it was just an infection. I've been told by my parents for years that me and my sister are not supposed to take penecillin as both our biological parents are allergic. The doctor was made aware of this and told her to take it anyway.

After a week, maybe 2, of throwing up every day she went back to the doctor and explained the symptoms and the doctor prescribed her more penecillin. She decided not to take it this time and (coincidently?) stopped being sick. She was absolutely fine within a couple of days.

Now, this doesn't seem right to me, but I have no medical knowledge so perhaps there was a good reason for the prescription? Should the doctor have prescribed it if there was obvious risk of an allergic reaction?

It has me rather worried as her reaction could have been a lot worse, and both my sisters get quite ill frequently. :-|

Like I said, i am not looking for medical advice. I just want an informed opinion from someone qualified of whether the doctor's decision seems logical or not. I do not intend to take any kind of action about it, I'm just concerned and would like to be aware if there is a possible problem here.

Thanks for reading

Quite often a patient will state they have an allergy to a particular drug. What we find in practice is that they are not allergic but have suffered side effects - these are normal and stop or decrease as the body gets used to the drug or the drug stops. A true allergy may result in an anaphylactic reaction but this tends to happens the second or subsequent time a substance is taken as the first time sensitises the body - this type of reaction is pretty rare. Drs have to weigh the benefits and risks of any drug for that patient and the particular illness, so whilst penicillin made your sister sick it was a side effect not an allergy I would imagine and the risks of an infection probably outweighed the risks of a reaction. Hope this helps :)

Poppynurse :)

If my comments have been helpful please click my scales!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hiya!

Another medical person here!

Glandular Fever is a virus. That means it has to be ridden out and that antibiotics are useless. Your GP SHOULD NOT be prescribing you antibiotics on the assumption "it might be something else". Hence poppynurse's answer previously, the reason MRSA is so prolific is the over use of antibiotics.

Your GP should run some straight forward bloods. An FBC (full blood count) will show if there is an infection at all. It will not detect what sort of infection though- it will for instance show a higher white cell or neutrophil count ( signs of an infection, somewhere in your body). To diagnose Glandular Fever your GP should do an EPV test (bloods again).

Go back to your GP and state that you feel more investigations should be carried out.

Hope this helps!

Steph;)

• 1 month later...

Glandular Fever is a virus. That means it has to be ridden out and that antibiotics are useless. Your GP SHOULD NOT be prescribing you antibiotics on the assumption

Its a shame as Glanduler Fever is one of the highest miss diagnosis for Lyme Disease in early stage of infection, which when treated instantly with antibiotics limits the risk of Neurological break down in later years.

There are many peopel suffering through the limited instant access of antibiotics only to find out in later years they will be on them the rest of thier lives.

My lad was diagnosed with Glanduler Fever at 12 he was told in 18 months it would be gone he is now 24 the attacks never stopped and he is now showing neuroligical intereference he is sick any thing from 8 days a month. The small amount of antibiotics given at diagnosis of Glanduler Fever do nothing for Lyme and a 6 month treatment of antibiotics is found to be the only proven amount to clear infection.

The doctor refuses to belive he has Lyme Disease, even thou i may self was unable to walk in Nov 2006, untill i found a Private doctor willing to treat me on a clinical diagnosis.

I pay for my blood tests at £400 a time to be sent to California and am now paying £40 a month for private perscriptions.

There is no decent blood test in the UK to define the 2 infections the closest chance to have the slitest chance of a positive test is to send your bloods abroad.

The UK have no interest in Acknowledging or identifying sufferers of lyme Disease. If you are diagnosed with Glanduler fever there are surrounding issues that can help make sure you are being given a fair assesment, your life style prior to attack, hobbies, bites and Flu and travel, the reply to a suggestion of lyme is "no it's to rare here" ( which it is not) but when on holiday we are some where else but doctors never ask.

ILADS - International Lyme And Associated Diseases Society

and a link which highlights the missdiagnosis of Glanduler Fever and a need for acknowledgement

LymeBlog - Widow of Lyme disease victim appeals for help

I have been active in the Lyme Community for 15 months and have more than enough links and articles for a person who may need them. Just give me a nudge in the chat room.

BL :-)