Reject faulty car. Trade in already sold

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2699 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Been lurking on here for years but now need a bit of help.

I purchased a used car last Friday (6th January) but on the way home the air bag light came on. Also found the windscreen washers could only throw water an inch or so from the jets. Jack and tools are missing from the car too.

Not happy that this happened on a £12k car that supposedly had an AA 128 point check.

Sent the letter of rejection by email on Saturday, less than 24 hours from purchase followed up by a letter.

Eventually got after sales to respond today and they tell me they no longer have my trade in.

I paid £7k for the car plus £5k trade in.

Car is 3 years old, full Ford service history and 71000 miles (ex fleet car).

What do I do now?

Thanks

Return the car and ask for the refund of the ticket price – £12 K

Surprise surprise!

When you take the car and you leave it there, make sure that you photograph it all so that there is no question about the condition of it when you leave it. Also I suggest that you write out a receipt for the car and you get somebody to sign it. Record the conversation. If they refuse to sign it then make sure that you mark the receipt as "signature refused"

Make sure that you leave the car on the forecourt. Do not take it back under any circumstances. Deliver all documents. Inform DVLA that you are no longer owner of the car and make sure that you do whatever is necessary to satisfy all requirements of DVLA. Do not accept the garage undertaking that they will do it for you. Make sure that you keep all responsibility and all control so that you know it has all been done.

When you get to the garage, they may well try to persuade you to have the car repaired. If you agree to this then I suggest that you only do it on the basis that you are also given a reduction in the purchase price. I would say £1000 plus full repairs might be a good starting position. Don't accept offers such as extended warranties et cetera. You want repairs and you want cash – and you want it straightaway. Record everything if you can. Photograph everything. Leave nothing to chance. Leave nothing to trust.

Just a small point, should the car have a jack. None of my BMWs had them and my wife's Juke and previously corsa only has the leak seal and pump. Just in case you use that as a reason and it turns out to be wrong

Took it back today, no problems at all.

Car was inspected and accepted.

Took mine away.

Signed paperwork is in my bag, just have to wait for the bank transfer now.

No need to tell the DVLA, it hadn't been registered when I sent the rejection so they stopped it going through.

It has a space saver spare wheel so there should be a jack, handle, wrench and towing eye.

Took it back today, no problems at all.

Car was inspected and accepted.

Took mine away.

Signed paperwork is in my bag, just have to wait for the bank transfer now.

No need to tell the DVLA, it hadn't been registered when I sent the rejection so they stopped it going through.

It has a space saver spare wheel so there should be a jack, handle, wrench and towing eye.