Job loss "just isn't working"

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2794 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Without going into too much detail (i'd written a wall of text).

I've just been told I no longer have a job (after nearly a year), reason sited as not fitting the role, but told that i've "not specifically done anything wrong".

It was a VERY broad ranging and high responsibility engineering role, non-stop work, but whenever I wasn't doing what one of 3 other people thought I should be doing, the back stabbing would start, meaning I could never actually do right. BUT I stayed on top of everything I needed to.

This back stabbing has seen off several employees during my time there, people who I believe just needed the right support, who were badly supervised and expected to do jobs outside their level of experience or ability (and then punished for doing it wrong). The level of paranoia and baseless assumptions that has surrounded these people is just crazy, they were painted out to 200x worse than they really were. Every time anything went wrong, it had to be pinned on someone in the worst light possible. One person in particular would spend hours moaning about people to the boss and there is no way he could possibly have ignored it.

This resulted in a lot of stress, one day everything is great, things are moving forward, the next day it's gone to sh1t because somebody is upset that you spent all day yesterday doing something they didn't deem important. Like building alignment jigs for product manufacture.

At one point (6 months ago) one of these people raised the question as to what value I add to the company, vaguely suggested that my position was a waste of money and suggested I needed to fill in time sheets, but my job was so varied that most of what I did could not be quantified. I felt like since then that more and more unquantifiable additional work was loaded onto my plate and because the company measures performance in a very black and white way i've had a constant worry in the back of my mind.

So i've "done nothing wrong", it "just isn't working". No examples of wrong doing could be given, it was just a "feeling".

Apparently my technical knowledge was lacking, yet i'd done nothing wrong and yet i'd managed perfectly well. Some people were a bit snobby because I never went to Uni, but that doesn't mean I don't know my stuff and my background was there in black and white on my CV.

Although I worked out very quickly that there was no chance of a long term career there (due to what i'd seen), this felt very sudden and I'm struggling to work out whether it's down to people making me look bad or whether they can't justify paying me (I know they struggle financially), or whether it's a combination of all that.

I've taken the moral high ground as someone who has never felt the need to put others down to forward my own interests. I'm quite calm about all this, but in a few weeks time I fear it could turn to anger.............

Unfortunately if you had less than a year's service with your employer, you wouldn't have a case for unfair dismissal, not unless it was a discrimination case. In fact, from 2012, you need two years' continuous employment to bring a case.

If you are seeking personal satisfaction rather than financial compensation, you may want to consider social media/blogging. :wink:

Ok, unfortunately this makes sense now................. It's amazing how one comment can make everything else fall into place.

Taken on to sort out production issues and to deal with 2 years backlog of customer returns, with no intention of keeping me beyond 2 years.

There was one particular area, run by a guy I ended up working closely with and after i'd helped him get that running properly I was asked if I wanted to do that guys job (meaning he would be kicked out) and I'm not the sort of person who'd screw someone over like that.

I think effectively that was the intention all the time, sort out the issues that nobody else has the experience to fix, replace that guy for 2 years and then most likely be kicked out anyway.

It's pretty awful to think it, but everything that's happened, even some of the weird stuff that didn't add up before I accepted the job (like never getting a formal job offer in writing), all now makes much more sense.

Now I think about it only 3 people have been there longer than 2 years, I can't believe I didn't see it!!!

Unfortunately if you had less than a year's service with your employer, you wouldn't have a case for unfair dismissal, not unless it was a discrimination case. In fact, from 2012, you need two years' continuous employment to bring a case.

If you are seeking personal satisfaction rather than financial compensation, you may want to consider social media/blogging. :wink:

God no! I wouldn't do that! Spilling the beans on the Internet is not very professional!

"Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for Poundland"

God no! I wouldn't do that! Spilling the beans on the Internet is not very professional!

Have to agree. It may create a sense of satisfaction, but with so many employers now using social media as background information when sifting job applications it may also mark you out as a potential liability to a prospective employer in future!

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

• 2 weeks later...

Had a similar problem.

... but took no action.

agree, as long as they gave you the correct notice or payment in lieu of notice there is nothing you can do that will undo this. Look for a decent refernce at the end of it though, they owe you that.

Agree, a reference is essential