Problems with PC from GumTree Seller

scott6kids
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2819 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I purchased a PC off a private seller via Gumtree on the 7th August 2016, the machine was custom built by the seller and I was advised that the machine was brand new and that parts had a warranty which could be checked online.

Yesterday (11th Sept 2016) the PC stopped working other than a suspicious red light which came on when the PC was switched on.

Contracted the seller to ask for any warranty details and explained there was a fault however my request was ignored.

I went to local PC world today and spoke to their onsite tech team who looked the machine and proceeded to take out all parts out in order to try and identify the possibly problem the machine. After checking everything it because apparent that the problem was with either the power supply unit or the motherboard. All other parts were fine. After checking the power supply it appears it was actually a problem with the motherboard however the machine suddenly caught fire in the store. The "expert" quickly switched the machine off and commented on how the machine was very poorly assembled and cable managements was poor.

The seller was contacted again to ask what their advice was and they dismissed my issue completely, they now say that contrary to what they initially said - they didn’t build the machine - someone else did but no indication of who.

This seller clearly doesn’t want to know or help me so I am left with no alternative but to seek external help.

I would like a refund of this machine as I don’t believe it was fit for purpose - the seller said they have built it but now claim to not have nor does the machine have any form of warranty which again I was led to believe before the sale took place.

The total cost was £475 paid via bank transfer directly into the seller’s bank account whilst collecting the machine in his home.

is there anything that I can do ?

Is it private or trade? Why did you agree to a bank transfer? That should have sounded alarm bells.

If y ou have his address, you could issue a LBA then take court action against him to recoup the costs.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D