Victim of fraud on Airbnb - Help needed

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2859 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all. Really could do with some good advice please.

I will try and sum up concisely...

A friend and I went through the process of booking an apartment in Brighton with Airbnb. We are both new to Airbnb. We found an apartment and communicated with the 'owner' through the Airbnb site system.

When it came to booking we received an Airbnb branded html email. With payment details. I forwarded the email to my friend who made payment... before i could stop him as I realised it was bank transfer details which seemed wrong to me.

Long story short... as soon as payment was made the Airbnb user disappeared from the Airbnb site. Removed his apartment and profile.

We felt so stupid. The email was so convincing. Fully branded and all links correctly heading back to the airbnb site.

I immediately contacted Airbnb and my friend contacted his bank to see if he could halt the payment.

This was two weeks ago and all I have had from Airbnb is apologies over the phone and referral to the appropriate team who deal with situations like this... but ONLY communicate via email. These emails have offered nothing more than an apology for my experience and then a referral to their terms and conditions, pointing out they state not to make offsite payments. Then a paragraph informing me this will be their last communication with the matter.

When someone signs up to put their property on Airbnb... there must be checks? They must have to give property details, addresses, ID, contact numbers? Airbnb have provided me with none of this!

They have washed their hands of the whole affair.

As for my friend... his bank are still 'seeing' what they can do' and have stated it maybe too late. Even though my friend contacted them within 12 hours.

I do realise we may have been naive. But Airbnb must take some responsibility? New users of their site could easily fall into this trap and the user has been allowed to advertise falls without proper investigation.

Does anyone know what rights I have or who i should complain to regarding Airbnb or my friend's bank?

Airbnb did say i should inform local authorities. But who? The police cannot do anything!

Help please!

Very common even been on watchdog and fake Britain programs or alike

Warning about paying by bank transfer. The same as with PayPal.Gumtree and alike.

Your only course of action is via the bank

No harm in reporting this to action fraud either

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Very common even been on watchdog and fake Britain programs or alike

Warning about paying by bank transfer. The same as with PayPal.Gumtree and alike.

Your only course of action is via the bank

No harm in reporting this to action fraud either

100% agree!

I got caught out myself by making a bank transfer. Within moments of doing so, I realised I messed up & I got straight onto my bank to try to stop it.

After a lot of going back & forth, Barclays told me that any monies made by bank transfer cannot be returned/refunded no matter what.

I eventually gave up & after kicking myself, I said goodbye to the money & now only ever make bank transfers to my sons only. At least that way I mess up they will give me it back. 😊

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every single minute of it!!