DWP 'debt'

altcr
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2895 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I need help,

I received the attached letter today. I did try to phone them but the system is down and they said they would phone me back-they didn't.

I have no idea what it could be about. In the address it has (SF) so I am thinking it may be a social fund payment still owing-but for that much? If this is the case then it must date back to 2007 when I was out of work.

I did get a similar letter back in 2012 saying I owed £1400. I repeatedly send recorded delivery letters asking for an explanation and they just ignored me and sent repeat threatening letters. Eventually it went to a DCA and I challenged it saying the 'debt' was in dispute. They sent it back to DWP and I didn not hear anything until today. Can anyone advise me what to do?

Edited by fkofilee
Attachment Thingy Removed

Your name is still showing, top right hand side under "Account Holder". Attachment has been unapproved.

It would be worth sending a SAR to the DWP for all information regarding this "debt". They do not charge for this, but I suspect their records will not go back as far as 2007.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

Good Evening AltCr

Attachment has been removed for now. Please remove all personal details from attachment and then reupload.

Any issues please let me know.

We could do with some help from you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Here's the SAR https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/dwp-request-for-personal-information

At the VERY VERY least obtain proof of posting (free from the PO counter) But it is worth sending it recorded delivery.

Never ever discuss anything over the phone with the DWP, unless you are able to record the calls.

Deal with this lot in writing only, keep a diary of events, and ensure you maintain a diary.

I'll check what SF means.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

imo, a quick call to see what its about wont do any harm. as you seem to know roughly what it may concern and just need confirmation. just dont make any admissions. contemporaneous notes are admissible.

I am nervous, I will send my letter by recorded delivery but from experience they will simply ignore me. I have been googling and seen cases where they just went straight for an attachment of earnings. Just wondering if I can cc my letter to anyone else ? Give my letter a bit more clout?

I am nervous, I will send my letter by recorded delivery but from experience they will simply ignore me. I have been googling and seen cases where they just went straight for an attachment of earnings. Just wondering if I can cc my letter to anyone else ? Give my letter a bit more clout?

They can't just "ignore" a SAR, though there have been cases where people have had to chase up the response. You have the legal right to make a SAR under the Data Protection Act, and as a Data Controller the DWP is obliged to respond.

You could also write to them less formally and ask for an explanation as to how the amount arose. This is the sort of letter that occasionally doesn't get answered, probably more through systemic incompetence than malice. The only person I could think of with regard to a CC would be your MP. Certainly, it's part of an MP's job to help constituents deal with government bureaucracy.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

Definitely CC your local MP. They need to keep being reminded of this departments incompetence.

STOP looking for problems that haven't arisen yet, get that SAR sent off, give them the 40 calender days in which to respond with the information and take it from there.

From experience, it may come through in dribs and drabs, so ensure you give them the maximum 40 days to respond, I think in total I had three very large A4 brown envelopes off them, and one of those was just a list of all the abbreviations they use.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!