Getting a used car deposit refunded

sk1804
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2927 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I placed a part payment on a used car recently and am now unable to complete the transaction and would like my part payment back.

I have asked the dealer directly and they refused and now need advice on how to proceed.

When placing the part payment I was not made aware verbally or in writing that it was non refundable. I was given an order form where I filled in my personal details at the top and car details on the right and the salesman signed - but I did not sign. There were also no terms and conditions on this form or on the website stating deposits or part payments are non refundable.

How can I get this back?

Thanks

I think you want to tell us something about the price of the car and the amount of money that you paid in advance. What action has the car dealer taken – if any – to prepare the car for you?

The car had been taken in as part ex and I saw it 15 minutes after it had been dropped off. It needed the bonnet repainting and wheels refurbishing as well as a service but these are all items that would have been done for another customer.

Agreed a price of £9k with a £1k deposit, I tried to cancel same day and was told no - this was before any work could have been booked in, which is all done in house.

There are a lot of experienced people on this motoring section. Can you tell us the name of the car dealer and you will get responses letting you know if it is a known difficult dealer or not and if you will have a fight.

Can you get a friend to pop into the dealer and take a look around to see if the car is still there and if any remedial work has progressed ?

Would rather keep the name etc to myself as wouldn't want them to potentially find out that I am asking for advice on the internet.

What are my options? I've emailed them a couple of times now asking for a response and stating that I will pursue all avenues but am yet to hear back 3 days later.

I did call them 4hrs after I put the part payment down to cancel so am unwilling to consider the cost of any work already carried out. On that phone call I offered a partial refund and they declined.

you hopefully have an invoice from your deposit payment are there any term's on there ? I know you can return a car within 30 days so I'm guessing you should be able to get a refund on the deposit

No terms on the invoice or website, or mentioned verbally.

Have emailed a few times now and had no reply. What's the next step?

I spoke to bank and they can't charge back for another week or so.

Do I just apply through the small claims court to get the money back?

Thanks!

first of all wait for your bank to action a chargeback in a weeks time

write to the garage and ask them if they have a ADR service in place (it is a legal requirement)

if all this fails you then send the garage a LBA (letter before action) telling him your intention's, should he ignore this then you can proceed to small claims court