Nightmare Deferring SLC Student Loan

SSS5550
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2978 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I've been able to defer repaying my student loan from the 1990s

as I earn way below the cut-off point for repayment, largely due to chronic illness.

However, this year, although I submitted my income evidence straight away,

I was asked to submit more evidence as SLC claimed they could not establish my income

(even though it was very clearly stated in the documents, as in previous years).

I then sent off more financial information straight away which confirmed my income.

Nearly a month later no one at SLC is able to confirm whether the information has been received or not.

I have sent in the evidence again, as well as emailing them and calling them.

They never call me back as promised and it certainly seems as though they are just ignoring my income evidence

so that they can start taking repayments.

When I got through to SLC on the phone I explained my situation and how little I earned

the guy said he would stop the first payment -

that will put me in arrears but then I have 3 months to prove my income.

At the time I thought this was a good idea as I can't afford to start making repayments on my income

but further research has shown this could spoil my credit rating.

Does anyone know if it will be possible for me to reinstate this Direct Debit agreement by phone

so that if SLC don't confirm the deferment in time they will take the first payment?

Having researched online, I'd actually rather now pay the first repayment and try to claim it back

after proving my income as if I go into arrears I can imagine that SLC will try and ruin my credit record.

The bottom line is though SLC have had plenty of time to establish my income

and as it is way below the cut-off point they should issue a confirmation of deferment letter.

My first payment to them is due in a week and I'm at my wits end worrying what will happen when this date arrives.

I've just sent off all the information yet again to their Complaints Department

- it might seem a bit early to open a Complaint Case

but I thought it might at last make them sit up and notice all the documentary evidence I've sent them.

As far as I know my loans aren't connected to Erudio loans which I've just been reading about.

As far as I am aware, my loan was originally with SLC and then it was taken on by Honours Loans.

That said, it certainly appears as though it is SLC who have to tell Honours Loans whether or not to defer the loan.

I'd greatly welcome any advice on this,

given my illness I have plenty of time to this sort this out but SLC have ignored all the evidence

I've sent them in the last month.

Calling them seems a complete waste of time as even when they answer

they just say their screen will either show a yes to deferment or nothing

- it's not possible for them to look into the case for an update or to check out if any documents have been received.

It certainly seems as though they are trying to wear down the lowly paid into paying back

their loan even when they very clearly aren't obliged to unless they earn £2400+ a month

. I certainly hope I won't have to go through this hassle every year.

Sorry you appear to have been missed this morning but none the less it will be picked up soon enough.

It seems you have done the right thing in escalating this to a complaint, included should be a point about derogatory information being placed on your credit file.

Did you head the letter, OFFICIAL COMPLAINT?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Click Here To Make A Donation

I am not legally trained or qualified, any advice i offer is gleaned from experience and general knowledge, if you are still unsure after receiving advice please seek legal advice.