Employment probation periods

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3024 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have a query about probation periods. I started employment 10 month ago and was told the first 6 months are my probation period then I have to get signed off. I have still not had letter of confirmation that I have been signed off. Contacted HR and they said that they are waiting on signed probation form from my boss before I can access company benefits etc. My boss has contacted me once over this but did not reply to my email about a meeting. Where do i legally stand in this case? HR said there was no black marks against my name and no reason I should have failed my probation period. Also because I have past my first 6 month I should be fine. Can anyone give me any info?

Whilst a probation period means very little (if anything) in law, the position is slightly different when there are additional benefits attached to a successful probation as these would then be contractual.

Full employment rights do not accrue until 12 months have been served, but if your contract states that you have additional contractual entitlements upon successful completion of a six month service period, then there would be a contractual right to either be given those benefits or to be told that you are not yet entitled for reasons X, Y and Z

My feeling is that you should send a written request to your boss, and copied to HR asking for the status of your six month probation and asking when you might expect to be confirmed as successfully completing this in order to enjoy those associated benefits. State that you are concerned that you are keen to learn whether you are meeting the company's expectations etc rather than that you are just asking for the benefits!

If you still don't get a response then it may be necessary to make a more formal grievance, but as stated initially you are not yet at the point where they would need a good reason to dispense with your services if you were seen to be causing problems for them. Make sure that you keep as much as possible in writing.

• Confused 1

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!