Toxic sofas...... Need some advice.

divadeb
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3077 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hiya and thanks for reading.

I have just bought a couple of sofas from a guy advertising new sofas on gumtree.

He's got loads of adverts for many kinds of settee's, chairs etc for immediate delivery in England.

I rang the mobile number but no answers and then he rang me back but on a private number.

We spoke about the sofas and I said I liked the sofa which was advertised.

He said that the sofa would be delivered but if it was not suitable or did not match the description I didn't have to pay anything( cash on delivery)

I took delivery on the 3rd January 2016 and sofa was beautiful, soft bnded leather.

Unfortunately since having the sofas my partner has been itching and said he feels warm when he sits on it

and I feel a bit itchy but my eyes sting, my nose and throat feel like they're burning abit and I feel abit short of breath.

I have tried ringing the guy but his number has changed and he is advertising under another number.

I have been in touch with consumer advice and they have referred to trading standards but as of yet they have not been in touch.

Is there anyway I can track him down through Gumtree as his advert says he has been posting for 1 month and goes by the name of Daved, and that's it.

I think the sofas may have sachets of DMF (which is now apparantly illegal to put in sofas) in them.

I'm desperate to talk to this guy but think it might be impossible.

Any help will be good, thanks.

a common problem with leather sofas imported from China, it is an insecticide used to stop them being eaten on their journey here and about a year ago a large number were detected and supposedly scrapped. It looks as though your seller has got hold of some and is peddling them in an underhand manner as he knows that he would get done if he did so openly.

You could try contacting again from another phone/address and try and catch out whoever delivers to reveal sender address.

I wouldn't mind but when they delivered my sofas they had loads on the van to deliver to Scarborough and Bridlington.

Wonder if these poor people are suffering the same as me ?

Does the furniture have the appropriate fire safety labels attached (see: http://www.firesafe.org.uk/furniture-and-furnishings-fire-safety-regulations-19881989-and-1993/). If not, definitely report it to Trading Standards.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.