in the process of purchasing vehicle & need advice

jackndaz
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3023 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

As per the title we are in the process of purchasing a (new to us but used) vehicle & need advice.

We had been looking for a new family car for a short while & seen one that we loved the look of online.

we visited the dealership & the vehicle was in the showroom.

My wife instantly fell in love with it & wanted it, so I asked a few questions.

One of them was "does the 4wd work ok? (as I know there can sometimes be issues)

The dealer gave me a slightly puzzled look & said it was a 2wd model & this one isn't the 4wd version.

I said okay,

by this time my wife didn't seem too bothered as she had fallen in love straight away with this one

due to the great condition it appeared in (we had looked at others for around the same budget that didn't look in as good condition).

We have small children & I explained that safety was paramount,

he reassured us & said that Any issues at all would All be addressed,

the car would get a Full new MOT, Full check & Full service before it was released to us,

so we went ahead & paid the deposit.

However..........

We have done a small online check & it shows that since paying the deposit it had failed the mot & also some advisories.

I told my wife not to worry because they would of course All be addressed before we got it & that was the point of him mot'ing it.

next check by us has revealed that All failures addressed & has passed the mot,

BUT this is where I am needing advice before I speak to them.

The advisories are all still there so obviously have Not been addressed.

The advisories are that the brake pipes are:

"slightly corroded from front to rear of the vehicle" :shock:

And the other states that the "propshaft is missing from the vehicle" ???

I had an idea what the latter meant & sure enough, after doing a little research on the net & enthusiast forums

& it has been known for these vehicles to develop a fault on these parts

& replacing them (by a garage) can be quite expensive,

some drivers have opted to remove the propshaft thus rendering the vehicle 2wd instead of 4wd

(there are also some claims that it saves fuel but others argue that it is minimal)

it looks like the dealer wasn't exactly honest with us as it obviously Was originally & is meant to be a 4wd model??

Also the fact that the brake pipes are corroded worry us too.

I always thought that advisories were there to advise that although it has passed the MOT

that it was advising that those other points mentioned meant that they should be addressed soon

& would fail the next mot on those issues?

Can anyone confirm if this is correct?

This has left us now feeling uncertain about going ahead with the purchase of this vehicle but at the same time not sure where we stand?

We have after all paid the deposit & agreed (in writing) the part exchange figure for our current car

& the dealer has now obviously went to the expense of mot'ing & repairing the vehicle (even though he hasn't done the brakes or propshaft).

We aren't the type to complain or go back on an agreement, so would like (& greatly appreciate) some advice on the best thing to do from here??

Thankyou for taking the time to read this & appreciate anyone taking the time to reply.

What make and model of car is it?

The advisories are there to let you know there is a potential problem but not enough to fail an mot test.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Click Here To Make A Donation

I am not legally trained or qualified, any advice i offer is gleaned from experience and general knowledge, if you are still unsure after receiving advice please seek legal advice.

Sounds like one to leave

How did you pay the deposit by card?

I would not buy a motor on the out come of a MOT there is plenty of places that will issue certificate's with no advisory's or pass it when it should fail

If i have helped in any way hit my star.

any advice given is based on experience and learnt from this site :-)

What make and model of car is it?

The advisories are there to let you know there is a potential problem but not enough to fail an mot test.

Hi its a freelander & I've also just found out today that they didn't start making a 2wd model until 2010 so defo should be a 4wd model.

Yeah I know that the advisories are not enough to fail an mot, but just thought that (especially) as its brake pipes that they would still have been done(especially when they had to work on another part of the brakes anyway as that was one of the fails.

As I said previously though, I was under the impression that advisories meant that basically you should do that work ASAP & that it would most likely fail on those things at the next MOT?

Sounds like one to leave

How did you pay the deposit by card?

I would not buy a motor on the out come of a MOT there is plenty of places that will issue certificate's with no advisory's or pass it when it should fail

Hi ihatebailifs

We paid using a debit card.

I hate freelanders!

It the dealer won't refunsd the money you can get charge back from the bank

Sounds like it could be a nail if meant to be 4 WD but only has 2wd

Who knows what else is wrong with it

Anyone who buys a car simply because they fell in love with it when they saw it, is asking for trouble.

Also, you buy the vehicle subject to any faults of which you were aware before you bought it.

This could mean that if you continue with the purchase and the dealer is aware that you knew of its condition, then you under Consumer Law, you might be deemed to have accepted them - unless they amount to an MOT failure of course.

I think that you should try and get out of this purchase and start taking a more sensible structured view of making this kind of value purchase.

Also, take a recorder with you whenever you are discussing the vehicle with a salesman. No need to disclose that you are recording.

Hi bankfodder.

Thankyou for taking the time to reply.

We did spend some time visiting various dealers & looking online before we chose the vehicle suitable for our needs.

We are also planning on selling my wife's car too once she gets the hang of driving a new one, so that there is only one tax, insurance, mot service to do etc as we dont really need a car each tbh, so it wasan't just a spur of the moment thing.

When I say that my wife fell in love with it, its because it was (what appeared to be) the best condition (& most suitable to our needs) vehicle we had seen for the budget we have.

I googled mot advisories & this was the very first thing that appears:

"Sometimes a car will pass the MOT but the mechanic will include 'Advisory Notices'. These are problems with the car that may not have caused it to fail the test, but need to be addressed ASAP. They should not be ignored."

Therefore I have decided to speak to the car dealership & voice my concerns.

The only concerns I have is:

1. The dealer could possibly be unhappy about the fact that I have been "checking up" on the vehicle.

2. We aren't the type of people to confront people or complain about things.

3. The dealer obviously isn't going to be happy if we pull out of the purchase after its obviously been mot'd, re-mot'd & repairs paid for.

Anyway I'll contact them as soon as they are open & let you all know how we get on.

1. The dealer could possibly be unhappy about the fact that I have been "checking up" on the vehicle.

3. The dealer obviously isn't going to be happy if we pull out of the purchase after its obviously been mot'd, re-mot'd & repairs paid for.

and

4. If it is a 4WD model, you want the 4WD system working properly.

Anyway I'll contact them as soon as they are open & let you all know how we get on.

Surley any reptable dealer having a car for sale would have it already sorted ready to go

Sounds like top money for what is described as spears or repairs

"Not complete gear box and or transfer box will need replacing in order for it to work as it is meant to be"

I expect it is in your budget as what it compares to is complete

For me walking is always better than going in a freelander

jackndaz,

i do not wish to appear cheeky or disrespective, but take the above advice.

You are going to have to MAN up here and confront the dealer or lose YOUR money.

We have a large car dealership here in Scotland which is large because it relies heavily on people like you---your (2).

Cannot understand why anyone should fear confronting a car dealer of all people.

Freelander?????too many problems.

Why not look for a good estate or MPV if it's a family vehicle you need.

It may pay you hands down if you take your usual mechanic with you when next going to see a vehicle-

--his fee could be the smallest bill you have to pay.

Good luck.

Hi bankfodder.

Thankyou for taking the time to reply.

We did spend some time visiting various dealers & looking online before we chose the vehicle suitable for our needs.

We are also planning on selling my wife's car too once she gets the hang of driving a new one, so that there is only one tax, insurance, mot service to do etc as we dont really need a car each tbh, so it wasan't just a spur of the moment thing.

When I say that my wife fell in love with it, its because it was (what appeared to be) the best condition (& most suitable to our needs) vehicle we had seen for the budget we have.

I googled mot advisories & this was the very first thing that appears:

"Sometimes a car will pass the MOT but the mechanic will include 'Advisory Notices'. These are problems with the car that may not have caused it to fail the test, but need to be addressed ASAP. They should not be ignored."

We are back into the working week now, have you contacted them ??

Take a bit of advice from someone whos knowledge about these cars cannot be questioned!!

WALK AWAY or get the dealer to repair prior to delivery which I guarantee he will not. The reason why the prop has been removed will be because the rear differential Haldex unit has failed. This is over £1000 to repair so will remove all his profit. ESP will not work as well or traction control let alone hill decent. Items not apparent until you need them.

The freelander 2 2WD was a bit basic but the 4 wheel drives were brilliant. Overall the car was excellent in terms of warranty, capability and customer satisfaction with it.

Was a brilliant all round car though dated.

Look for another one and enjoy.

Take a bit of advice from someone whos knowledge about these cars cannot be questioned!!

WALK AWAY or get the dealer to repair prior to delivery which I guarantee he will not. The reason why the prop has been removed will be because the rear differential Haldex unit has failed. This is over £1000 to repair so will remove all his profit. ESP will not work as well or traction control let alone hill decent. Items not apparent until you need them.

The freelander 2 2WD was a bit basic but the 4 wheel drives were brilliant. Overall the car was excellent in terms of warranty, capability and customer satisfaction with it.

Was a brilliant all round car though dated.

Look for another one and enjoy.

I agree with the above and I really thing you should take the advice given Jackndaz. No one knows more about these than heliousuk and his advice is really sound. If he says walk away, don't take any reassurance that you can get satisfaction from anyone else, walk away.

You can mention the problems and ask for your deposit back and if he refuses, which I see no grounds for them to do, then you can do a chargeback.

Edited by Conniff

Hi all.

Thankyou for all your advice (especially heliosuk who appears very knowledgeable about these vehicles, so I assume either works for Land Rover or is a mechanic)

Anyway all advice taken.

We went back yesterday & took it out for a good drive (which we were foolish not to do before putting down the deposit) & as my wife has various issues she found the vehicle very uncomfortable :-(.

However.

I honestly cant fault the company up to now in regards to politeness & helpfulness & would use them again in the future but it looks like this car just wasn't right & also not right for us.

I have spoken to the salesman on the phone & he was okay & understanding & has said I will have to call back in to see them so that he can get the refund back onto my card, so hopefully can get across there tomorrow & receive my deposit back.

once again Thankyou for your help :thumb:

Always take a test drive after a good look at any car. A test drive of at least 10 miles that can take in a hill or two and some dual carriageway or motorway. The idea is to drive with the temperature guage on normal for a minimum of 5 miles. The guage only indicates the cyclinder head temp and not the engine temp.

Play with 'all' the gadgets and knobs and if still keen, then take it back and have a good look around.

If you have an internet connected mobile, then look up https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history and check the mot history.

If there isn't enough fuel in the car for a nice long test drive, then put a gallon or two in. It's better to waste a tenner now than thousands later.

Only then should you discuss 'do we still like it and will is suit our needs'.

Don't be swayed into buying a warranty, they are next to useless and never value for money.

Some more Brilliant advice & we took on board everything you have said before making our purchase.

Just to give a bit more info.

The reason we chose to get another car was because we both own a car each (the wife a little car & myself a larger family car) but I very rarely drove my car due to constantly using my van. The wife's car wasn't practical for when she had to go & get the weekly shop, she wasn't insured to drive my car & my car (although being a decent size car) was a saloon & didn't have a big enough boot for when we holiday in the uk.

So we made the decision to sell both cars & get just 1 car & half the cost of the ins, tax, mot, service etc etc instead of paying for 2 cars.

The Mrs wanted either a people carrier (so if we also took the 2 eldest out for the day with us everyone could fit in the car & when the 2 third row seats weren't in use we had a Big boot) or a 4wd (because she is scared of driving in the snow or very icy roads & again for the size of the boot)

Anyway as you all know we decided not to go with the freelander & we are just waiting to get the deposit refunded (but that's another story & hopefully we will get it back sometime soon) & we have since decided to sacrifice the 4wd & opt for the 7 seats instead & after looking at a few more of these we ended up doing the big long test drive & choosing the car that was right for us.

We went for a 2008 Renault Grand scenic. With the Renault you get a Lot more car for less money (or a much newer one for around the same budget) & after doing my homework on this car, it seems to be due to the string of problems with the 2004-2005 models (mainly the failing dash & mileage but other stuff too) which is why the 2008 model was a better choice. It was also cheaper to tax & insure than the freelander & we are able to use the extra seats when the eldest kids fancy a day out with us, so an all round winner for us.

Thankyou once again for your help, & I'll let you know how we get on regarding the deposit refund.

Jackndaz

Edited by Conniff

So glad you have found one that suits you all and are happy with it. So now it's surfboards on the top and Cornwall here we come.

Yes please, do come back and let us know about the deposit, especially if they won't return it, we can help with that.

As for the long test drive, always be wary of a seller who only wants you to go around the block and keeps the fuel tank empty so that is all you get.

Excellent! as Conniff says always research a car before buying and test as much as possible. Don't be afraid to ask before purchasing either as the are many experts on this site with regards to legal and technical issues!!!

Hi all.

Well I said I would call back & let you all know how I got on with the refund of the deposit.

When I first spoke to the salesman he seemed somewhat okay about it & said for us to call back in as soon as we got the chance or were in the area & that he would refund the payment.

Well we got the chance to get back over a week ago. We were about a 10 min drive from home when I realised we had forgotten the receipt for the deposit, so my wife rang & explained & inquired whether or not we would need to call back for the receipt??

The guy she spoke to asked how we had paid? & who we had been dealing with? & she told him that it was Paul. He then said to my wife "Oh he must have got mixed up, you dont need to call in for your refund, I can just tell him to process the refund for you & it will be put straight back into your bank account for you" "Saves you a trip over for nothing"

My wife then thanked him & we turned around & went to visit our eldest son instead.

I had an insurance company take a large sum from my bank account in error back in December, & promise a refund back to my account, & due to that I know that it takes 5 working days after processing to show back into my account.

Therefore I allowed the 5 working days. Ive just checked the bank account tonight & there has been no refund back to my account so I'm a bit disappointed :-(

I found them to be extremely nice people, but did have a bad feeling that maybe they were maybe not going to follow through with the refund.

I just think (& have heard from others in the past about other companies doing it) that these companies possibly mess people about in the hope that they will just give up & not bother pursuing it. Which is a real shame as far as this company is concerned because I would have genuinely looked at their vehicles in the future with the possibility of purchasing from them & I would have also recommended to anyone looking to purchase a car, that they took a look at their cars, but not now.

I'm going to get back on to the phone to them again tomorrow & see what they say.

I'll let you all know how I get on.

personally i would be looking down the chargeback route now, they are delaying refunding you for no good reason, stop being nice with them and take control, ring your bank instead, the dealer has had plenty of time to refund you and has not done so

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Click Here To Make A Donation

I am not legally trained or qualified, any advice i offer is gleaned from experience and general knowledge, if you are still unsure after receiving advice please seek legal advice.

If you intend phoning, make sure you record the call. Give them a deadline by which to make the refund and tell them 'time is of the essence'.

Or go the route above and do a chargeback.

It is a shame some companies don't hold up on customer service. I would write a polite letter to the boss and let him know how disappointed you are.

• 1 month later...