Loans with Payday UK and Payday Express

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3092 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

I'm looking to get some advice after reading about the redress that payday companies are paying.

I had three loans, one with QuickQuid which I repaid in full, one with Payday UK and one with Payday Express, both of which I defaulted on in 2013 and remain a black mark on my credit file.

I defaulted on these owing to losing my primary employment and sinking into a sea of debt. I took out the Payday Express loan on the 13/03/2013 and the Payday UK one on 01/07/2013.

My first question is - since these defaulted in December 2013, and no payments made since, would it be possible to get redress? My credit file was already shot to bits at the time of these loans - having already defaulted on my credit cards (not able to make the minimum payments on those), and I will openly admit I went for them in hindsight to try and buy myself time and sustain myself as my job was coming to an end and I was just trying to get to the end of each month.

My questions are - even though the accounts are in default, would I be able to get them written off under the redress scheme? It is certainly easily provable that I was a considerable credit risk at the time.

Secondly, even though I was able to pay off the QuickQuid loan, managed it with some difficulty and by utilising the other two loans to continue making the payments. Is there any redress there even though I settled the account?

Thanks alot in advance for any advice, I'd be more than happy to answer any questions.

Griffin, you will lose nothing by asking.... if you point out that they evidently didn't do a proper check on your finances/credit at the time, yet still loaned to you, you might stand a chance. Even if the companies themselves reject your claim - I would then escalate to the Ombudsman - it will cost you nothing but the price of a couple of stamps !!

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Griffin, you will lose nothing by asking.... if you point out that they evidently didn't do a proper check on your finances/credit at the time, yet still loaned to you, you might stand a chance. Even if the companies themselves reject your claim - I would then escalate to the Ombudsman - it will cost you nothing but the price of a couple of stamps !!

Thanks for that info citizenB - Is this something I can do via email? I'm assuming that there will be a template knocking about to use that I can edit to my needs?

neil6534 - I'm looking forward to seeing how you get on!

No, no template as each situation will be different. Have a read round some of the other threads where people have claimed and see what they have done.

There are two threads in the stikky section that might be worth a read before starting -

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?455382-Were-you-caught-in-a-Pay-Day-Loan-Trap-You-may-be-able-to-make-a-claim

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?455693-Pay-Day-Loan-Companies-Contact-Information

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Okay, so essentially, to get this started - a letter explaining the circumstances to them I guess.

Does the letter need to be fairly heavy? I.e. giving them strict deadlines to respond or send the first one quite nice and soft? Also, can this process be carried out electronically, or is this a snail mail operation?!?

Sorry for all the questions!

I sent them an email requesteing a full statement of account which they sent by post in a few days. Once received, use that against them. Be firm with your findings, point out financial situ at the time, number of rollovers, add the total interest paid on all loans and ask for that back PLUS 8% stat interest, what credit checks did they do etc.

Okay, so essentially, to get this started - a letter explaining the circumstances to them I guess.

Does the letter need to be fairly heavy? I.e. giving them strict deadlines to respond or send the first one quite nice and soft? Also, can this process be carried out electronically, or is this a snail mail operation?!?

Sorry for all the questions!

Be polite but firm - you don't actually need to mention timelines, they know they are legally obliged to respond within 8 weeks(56 days). You should at the very least receive an acknowledgment of your complaint. You can send either by snail mail or email. If the former, then obtain a proof of posting (preferably RD/SD) - If by email and your service has a read/receipt then click on that before sending your email.

If - they do not send an acknowledgement and are creeping toward the 56 days without any response, you could send them a reminder.. but after the 56th day, you should download the form from the FOS website - complete it and send to them (along with copies of your correspondence to the company).

BCOBS

Hi All,

Thanks for all the valuable advice so far here - most useful.

I have had, to my surprise, a response from one. To be honest, it is what I expected it should be - a lengthy statement blaming me, making me out to be a liar, and coming close to accusing me of being fraudulent.

One interesting thing of note is that they have said that their checks are proportionate, and that checks for smaller amounts are less than checks for larger amounts. Obviously I'm no expert here - but isn't financial checking almost a binary yes or no? A credit search is a credit search with the same result no matter what the value of the proposition is right??

Anyway, they have invited me to complain directly to them, or invited me to send it to the ombudsman. What's the next step here?

Thank you all again for your help.

I would imagine a main stream lender would make the obligatory checks regardless of the amount requested - so why can PDLs ? If you have already made your complaint to them, then your next step is either to refute what they say and ask them to reconsider their earlier response or provide you with a deadlock letter so you can escalate your complaint. Head your email/letter "Formal Complaint"

You don't actually need a deadlock letter - you can escalate your complaint to the FOS on the basis that the PDL is simply jerking you around (don't use that term) until you run out of time to make a complaint to the Ombudsman.

BCOBS

hi griffinuk - payday express have responded to me, they have had 8 weeks and have stated they haven't been able to look into my case due to a heavy work load and have said I can contact FOS if I so wish.....so I will......if anyone could suggest what to say to FOS now that pdex have said they haven't been able to look into my complaint withing the 8 weeks they were given than that would be helpful

CitizenB - I have referred the one that got quite nasty to the Ombudsman, I guess it's wait and see now!

Neil6534 - PaydayExpress and PaydayUk (same people) have written today - both letters are identical, and say they have 8 weeks to investigate, at which point they will send a Final Response letter. I guess they don't allow appeals to their inevitable complaint rejection!!

The fourth firm that I have contacted has yet to respond.