Vehicle hire purchase

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3184 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I bought a car on hire purchase and I am 15 months into a 36 month agreement.

My question is can I increase the standing order payments to pay it off earlier as opposed to saving up a lump sum to clear it off?

Many thanks.

It depends on youor contract and the way the interst is calculated. If the interst is calculated on the resulting ballance, you are better paying off what yuo can as soon as you can as this will reduce the total ammount you repay. That is if the contract allows early repayment and there are no penalties.

I would give the lender a ring and ask them.

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES TO COLD CALLERS PROMISING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

I agree with Dodgeball

Most car finance agreements have the interest Front loaded"

That is all the interest is calculated over the full term of the loan (36 months)

If you are in a financial position to increase your payments and that financial security is definite your best bet is contacting the creditor and do an agreement to vary the original. You will save shed loads of interest that way. If they do not agree to vary the contract ask them if you settle early will you get that interest rebate

Thanks for the information.

There has been a development since posting this,

We have been awarded mobility for my autistic Son so we could get a new vehicle.

It does make more practical sense to get a new car as on this HP car I'm paying £236 a month for an 8 year old car

I'm a bit nervous of voluntary terminating the agreement as the company will most likely "try it on"

Yes motorbility is a good deal, the only down side is that you never own the vehicle.

It is not a big deal to VT lenders can be awkward sometimes, but as long as you know what your rights are, they have to give way.

Have you paid half of the total contract price, it is not necessary to have done so for the sake of the VT, but it can make it easier.

There should be a sum on your agreement, if not you can calculate by taking the total amount paid(this includes any deposit,trade in allowance) and comparing it with the total payable under the contract.

If you have not paid 50% you can still VT but you will have to agree to pay the shortfall after the car has gone back.

There are template letters, the one on the national debt-line is a good one, not sure if there is one on here, or you could just contact the lender and ask them to send you the form.

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

Thanks Dodgeball,

I am 3 payments short of 50%

If I look into a mobility car by the time we choose one and it arriving a few months may of passed so yes it seems the best way to go.

How do I go about mobility? Do I just take the letter to a mobility dealer? Sorry I've never done this before so I don't know how to go about it.

Any advice is most welcome

Thanks Dodgeball,

I am 3 payments short of 50%

If I look into a mobility car by the time we choose one and it arriving a few months may of passed so yes it seems the best way to go.

How do I go about mobility? Do I just take the letter to a mobility dealer? Sorry I've never done this before so I don't know how to go about it.

Any advice is most welcome

You wont have any problems, ring any main dealer and you will be bombarded with people trying to get you on board.

We use vauxhall if you put vauxhall motorbility in google they will have a site available which you can use to price and browse their offers, same with all the other main dealers.

As for you VT, i find the best thing to do is send off the paperwork half way through the payment cycle, and state that the agreement will be terminated after the next payment, and this will be the last payment made under the contract.

This gives them 14 days notice, the car only has to be in reasonable condition for its age, it does not have to be in show room condition, also I have found it advisable to take lots of the pictures inside and out before it goes back just in case they send you a bill for body work etc.