Personal Guarantee Debt 50k, living now in US

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3169 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I am hoping for some advice on this. I am living in the United States now, and I used to be a part owner of a company in the UK. In 2009, this company went into liquidation after my partner took money out of the business, and we couldnt pay our debts. There was a loan for 50,000 which was personally guaranteed by myself and my partner. My partner died a few years ago. The debt was taken out in 2008. After many years of paying small amounts, I became unable to pay any more, and moved a year ago to America. They have recently gained a judgment against me in the County Court, and I wondered what my options were now, and whether they could enforce this, and if so, how.

Thank you in advance

J

Did the Lender know that you had moved to the US

Was any attempt made by the Lender to claim the debt from the Estate of your Partner ?

I am assuming that the claim was either fast or multi track if it is for £50,000

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

thank you for your response. My partner died a bankrupt with no estate, and (rightly or wrongly), I responded via email to a letter from a law firm, warning me they were going to seek a judgement. I received some forwarded mail that they sent to my last address in the UK, and I emailed them saying I was living in America. They said they didnt care and would still seek a judgement. I have no assets in the UK. The claim was in the County Court Money Claims Centre, and I didnt reply to the court, so they issued a judgement.

Generally, US courts won't look at foreign debts, so unlikely it would ever follow you. But if you returned to the UK within 6 years of the CCJ, they would probably find you soon after registering a UK residential address.

Probably not wise to contact them again and if you receive any correspondence to your US postal address, to get local advice. The various US states are likely to have different policies on foreign debts being considered for enforcement in their courts, so you should see what you can find out locally. From what i have read, it is very very unlikely.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

the slight complication is that I own a house in the UK, being rented out currently. The house, is owned by my wife and I, but I own no equity in the house. I am concerned that they will send a bailiff around to the house, even though we dont live there. Can they attach onto my US earnings?

the slight complication is that I own a house in the UK, being rented out currently. The house, is owned by my wife and I, but I own no equity in the house. I am concerned that they will send a bailiff around to the house, even though we dont live there. Can they attach onto my US earnings?

Not sure they can attach to earnings in the US and if you want to pay, you would have to work out an affordable payment arrangement with them, setting up a transfer with your Bank.

If you are not making payments, they are likely to apply for a charging order against any UK property they find in your name. They might not know whether you own equity at the moment, but hope to get their money when it sells. In the meantime they use the charge to threaten forced sale of house to get you to make payments.

You should make sure tenants pass on any communication, so you get to receive them. It is possible that letters get sent to that address and it is visited by agents for the claimants to find out the situation. Not much you can do about, if you don't want to make payments and don't want to alert them to the UK house, just in case they don't know about it.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

There is no federal law on debt collection in the US. This sort of thing is governed by state law, so the answer will depend on what state you are in.

My understanding is that most states have passed laws allowing for foreign court judgments to be enforced, usually on the condition that the foreign court went through a fair process. The UK court system will almost certainly be seen as fair. Therefore it is certainly possible that this company can pursue you in the US for a UK CCJ.

The process would usually involve opening a new civil claim against you in the relevant US state. The claim would be an application for enforcement of the UK CCJ. If that is approved, the lender would then have a local US judgment and would be able to enforce that like any other local judgment. An attachment of earnings would be possible if that is allowed by local state law.

Whether it is worth that company doing that is another issue entirely. Hiring lawyers in the US is expensive so the lender is unlikely to bother for a small debt. It will also be practically impossible for them to sue you if they do not have your US address. To be honest I doubt many of these debts actually get enforced overseas.

If you don't own any equity in the house, why is registered under your name? If you are the registered owner the bank could try to get a charging order against that property and then try to have the property sold to pay off the debt. If you truly have no economic interest in the property it would be a good idea to update the registration, if possible.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS