Post Office Car Insurance - Amendment charge

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5318 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Wow this is interesting. I was charged £15 admin fee by the Post Office in May 2005 when I changed cars and swapped my insurance over. I remember feeling a bit aggrieved because the car I bought was smaller and lower insurance group. I had 10 months left to run on the policy so they calculated the premiums for the new car and I also had to pay a separate £15 admin fee. That was with the Post Office (who I'm still with) and underwritten by MMA Insurance. Is it worth sending a revised version of that letter asking for my £15 back?

Moving this to another thread once it is started properly!

But for now....

MMA Insurance (if I could show me rolling my eyes I would!) be wary. I don't like the way they operate to put it bluntly.

Look at the T&C's of the policy you took out. I know the PO have a different set of rules for processing as they are not a bank and I think fall under a different category (will investigate).

Come back once you (if you can) tell me what the T&C's say and I will find out which weasel at MMA to write to.

LOULA

Hi LOULA thanks for the quick reply.

Reading the General Policy Terms (issued by Post Office Ltd on behalf of MMA Insurance plc) it does not mention any specific charges. There is a heading which says;

"Amending this Insurance"

"If you wish to make a change to this policy simply inform us of the change you wish to make. If we agree to the change, we will also agree on the effective date of the change and no period of notice is required."

The £15 charge is in the welcome letter from the Post Office which says;

Please check your documents

"Take a few minutes to read and check your documents. If you find an error let us know as soon as possible as it may affect your cover. We have charged an administration fee of £15 for this change to your policy. We will not charge any additional fees for corrections or changes within the first 14days of the change."

Included is the Key Facts & another Post Office letter "About Our Insurance Services" which details the charges as required by the FSA. It says Post Office Insurance is administered by BISL Ltd. The information below relates to BISL Ltd and not Post Office.

"What will you have to pay us for our service"

Cancellation fee £35

Admin fee £15

Default fee £20

Certificate reprint £12

Not only MMA but Budget Insurance AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

I am going to start lobbying people to buy direct from the companies not go through intermediaries....they seem to be getting fleeced for services which the intermediary gets paid by the insurance company to do!

Anyway...enough moaning!

1. When did you get the letter saying about the £15 charge? After you had made the amendment?

2. When did you get the Key Facts and other letter from the PO?

Thanks

LOULA

Hi Loula,

This is my 3rd year with the PO and I pay monthly by DD which they automatically renew each year if I don't tell them to stop. They send me the key facts with my new documents each year. When I rang in May 05 to tell them about the change in car they did mention the £15 admin charge as I remember asking them if they could waive the charge as my new car was smaller and a cheaper insurance group (they said it didn't work like that and fobbed me off with their spiel).

After informing them about the change I then received through the post a new welcome letter and Key Facts & documents. Similar stuff to what I receive at each renewal but taking into account I had already paid 5 months previous premiums before the change of vehicle. The policy payment arrangements had the new monthly fees and also the £15 fee to be deducted within 30 days.

Just had a look and yes, when I took out the insurance in Jan 2005 they sent the key facts bumf which mentioned the £15 charge. After changing the car in May 05 they sent new amended docs which included another welcome pack & key facts.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know Panther. I'm thinking you might still have a claim.

I hope so, as I'm looking to claim against kwik-fit for my last year's insurance. I moved to a cheaper car with 2 months to go, they charged me £25 - in effect increasing my monthly premium. I then transferred a number plate, and they did it again. They got me for something else too, so that was an extra £75. I couldn't change everything all at once, as the number didn't transfer immediately

BoS:- D P A sent 09/06 Prelim. request 29/06 £1755 plus interest

1st claim Filed 5/10/06 SETTLED 19/10 £747.80 plus £534.31 interest

• 1 year later...

Hello,

I'm new to this site.

£15.00, you're lucky.

I disclosed my first ever 3 points in 17 years of driving, on my insurance at the time of renewal (10th July - Hastings Direct, underwritten by Advantage Insurance Company Ltd).

My premium increased by £57.00 per annum, which included (not disclosed, at the time) an over £40.00 adjustment fee.

I only found out because I need the car only for 2 months before I leave for China, and wanted to find out the penalty for canceling my policy early.

The person on the phone claimed it wasn't an admin fee, which is what I called it, but covered law? something or other.

I already paid £60.00 for the fine, then the blood sucking insurers charge me nearly the same to take less than 10 seconds to press a few buttons and spend 32p or whatever on a first class stamp.

This to me seems extortionate and unfair, since a new policy holder would not be charged this fee with the same 3 points on their license.

The question is, can I get advise to appeal against this cost or reclaim it?

Please advise and thank you,

Lee.

• 2 years later...
Hello,

I'm new to this site.

£15.00, you're lucky.

I disclosed my first ever 3 points in 17 years of driving, on my insurance at the time of renewal (10th July - Hastings Direct, underwritten by Advantage Insurance Company Ltd).

My premium increased by £57.00 per annum, which included (not disclosed, at the time) an over £40.00 adjustment fee.

I only found out because I need the car only for 2 months before I leave for China, and wanted to find out the penalty for canceling my policy early.

The person on the phone claimed it wasn't an admin fee, which is what I called it, but covered law? something or other.

I already paid £60.00 for the fine, then the blood sucking insurers charge me nearly the same to take less than 10 seconds to press a few buttons and spend 32p or whatever on a first class stamp.

This to me seems extortionate and unfair, since a new policy holder would not be charged this fee with the same 3 points on their license.

The question is, can I get advise to appeal against this cost or reclaim it?

Please advise and thank you,

Lee.

if you notified them of the SP conviction at renewal,they should not have charged you any amendment fees as you are notifying them of changes in your details within the required timescale.

• 1 month later...
Wow this is interesting. I was charged £15 admin fee by the Post Office in May 2005 when I changed cars and swapped my insurance over. I remember feeling a bit aggrieved because the car I bought was smaller and lower insurance group. I had 10 months left to run on the policy so they calculated the premiums for the new car and I also had to pay a separate £15 admin fee. That was with the Post Office (who I'm still with) and underwritten by MMA Insurance. Is it worth sending a revised version of that letter asking for my £15 back?

hi all, i have entered this forum, as noticed alot of people are not best pleased with admin fee etc from insurers.

Edited by al5678

if you notified them of the SP conviction at renewal,they should not have charged you any amendment fees as you are notifying them of changes in your details within the required timescale.

this is correct, they cannot charge you a admin fee within the renewal period. and what you were advised about its law???? rubbish, depends when your renewal was due when you added this on. but if it was within the 28day renewal cycle, then no charge can be applied.

• 9 years later...

This topic was closed on 2019-03-08.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5318 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks