My Case Today

Maxie
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6626 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Well, the bank won the battle but we wone the war!

In essence, I had a client who issued against a bank for charges of £1458, with a total claim of £1683 The bank offered the repay £1458 which we accpted with a proviso that the action would be discontinued once we had received a cheque. The bank didn't send any money or put in a defence so we went to judgment and obtained this in default.

The bank then sent payment and requested that we agree by consent to allow the judgment to be set aside - we refused.

So today there was an appeal the set aside. What the judge found was that although the judgment was obtained correctly, and the bank had no followed proceedure he fult he need to use his discretion to set the judgment aside. The reason? Becuase we had been 'to nice'!! When we had received the payment of £1458 we marked the judgment as satisfied with the court. In essence we had compromised our own judgment as we had agreed to be satisfied with a lesser amount.

So let the lesson is: expressly write to the bank and tell them that when accpeting settlement always add on that you will contiune with proceedings until you receive payment and if not payment is received within 28 days of the date of issue you will seek default judgment regardless of settlment. This will cover you so you have 'preserved the right to contiune with the original claim'.

Secondly, if you do obtain judgment enforce the whole amount - don't be tempted to accepted the settlement sum as this will give the bank a good line to set aside the judgment.

As the judge said, "next time go for the lot and send in the bailiffs!!"

He did however say that the the original claim that the charges levied were "without question penalty charges and indefencable at law" these are his exact words - interesting!

The best part is that he did not award costs to the bank, as he found that although technically at law they had the argument, they had acted in 'a cavalier, decitful and underhanded manner' and due to there clear disregard for procedure it would be entierly wrong to penalise the claimant for that. I enjoyed that bit!

All in all, its cost the bank over £3000, and they are not able to recover any costs, and the judge found that our original claim well founded. So, some of you might not see it, but from a lawyers point of view it was a good day!

• Confused 1

The law maybe reason without passion as Aristotle said, but hey, he said nothing about having fun when getting even!

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal expereince. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Reputation Points Always Welcome

Sounds like a good result to me. And it would seem that the moral is: if you are going to kick them, kick them until you run out of shoe leather...I must remember to get a new pair of boots. Well done.

Alecto, Magaera et Tisiphone: Nemesis on Earth is come.

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

I'd love to know what the specific evidence you used to win the judge over so comprehensively; I'd like to start building my own file up and the help would be great as at least it made it to court this time so a judge could make a decision, which is a rarity!

So this is another recent precedent we can quote in cases to come?

DPA Letter received by NatWest 11/04/2006

DPA Request expires 21/05/2006

Statements received 15/05/2006

LBA sent 15/05/2006

If you find me vaguely coherent, click the scales.

So did the goody get his money back?

Now that the intersting thing. At no point did they attempt to recover the monies paid - it was only about them wanting the judgment itself set aside, and the judge made it clear any defence to the original claim would have no merit.

The law maybe reason without passion as Aristotle said, but hey, he said nothing about having fun when getting even!

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal expereince. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

• 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 2019-03-08.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6626 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks