DWP Shenanigans on budgeting loan

GeneralSod
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3214 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello I'm after a bit of advice please as to best way to proceed.

Bit of background. I got a letter out the blue from DWP saying I owed £306.58 and to get in contact by 31/8/15 otherwise they would take this as my refusal to engage and no more letters would be sent and it will be passed to a Debt Collection Agency or they'll get an Attachment of Earnings.

I phoned the number on the letter and asked to speak to the name of the person printed - they'd never heard of him/her. But, we got to the bottom of the letter and it seems I DO owe £346.40 for a budgeting loan I took back in 2013.

Fair enough, I seem to remember that. I said to the phone monkey can I make a repayment plan as I'm now only working part time and can't take it in one hit - No! Her system shows £0 balance.

What can I do then? She says wait until it is transferred over to her department and they'll send another letter.

I told her I thought that was terrible advice as the letter clearly states no more letters will be sent and the next I'll hear will be a letter from a DCA with added fees or worse, an AOE - I work in a sensitive new job and if my boss got instructions to do an AOE it could see me sacked!

I explained this to the DWP woman on the phone and she said there was nothing else she could do. I asked if she could put in an email or mail to me confirmation that she was refusing payment, telling me nothing was currently on her system and her advice: She asked for my phone number, I refused as I only want to deal with these snakes with a paper trail. She said no and hung up.

Any advice? I've got previous with the DWP **** and despite what she said on a phone call that will be denied, I fully expect to hear nothing more until a DCA bangs on my door!

Call back, see if you get the same information, but this time record it. Make sure the person you are speaking to identifies themselves as DWP staff. No need to mention that you are recording since it's for your own use.

On the other hand, you might get someone more reasonable.

Worst case is that it will be passed to a DCA who will write to you, can't add fees and is unlikely to turn up on your doorstep, however if they do they have no more authority to do anything than next door's cat.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

I was just worried about more fees being added, or worse - getting called into the boss' office asking me to explain why he's been told to make an AOE on my pay!!!!!

From bitter experience in the past I don't trust these f*ckwits at the DWP.

Thanks for your advice ReallyMadWoman (great name btw). I will call them tomorrow and record it, see if I get the same response a second time!

If her system is showing a £0 balance, it sounds like it might already have been sent out to a collection agency.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Even if this goes to a lame DCA do not pay them, always pay the creditor direct and you should always make the payment via your bank with the reference number as a form of protection too....

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and leave a note to let me know, thank you.

thanks, I will.

I was just worried because if I get a massive fee bill and tell them "No it's cool I don't have to pay because mikeymack2002 told me" I'm not sure what credibility that has with the DWP?

Thanks for advice though. x

Lol ... others will tell you the same thing especially dx100uk you never pay a dca for a government debt.. Dwp will always make an arrangement for you to pay an overpayment/debt A DCA will try to make you pay them stand firm deal with DWP directly...

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and leave a note to let me know, thank you.