Reselling branded sweets

paulamcb
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3210 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Explain more. Is it for charity or financial gain ?

If it is for financial gain, you would have to be very careful. You could get sued by the manufacturer, unless you had their permission.

Say for example, i bought packets of Rolos and sold them as Unclebulgarias special chocolate toffees, i would probably be in severe difficulty. People would complain to Kraft foods or whoever makes them. I would have lawyers letters arriving in the post and probably Trading Standards visiting. It is trying to pass off another companies product as my own.

If you want to sell sweets in this way, then find a sweet manufacturer that makes generic sweets on a wholesale purchase basis and you can package them up. The manufacturer would provide you with all the legal info re ingredients. This would be a much cheaper way of buying product to sell.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

It is for business, and they are available wholesale, i would advertise as the brand they actually are but just personalised. Not unpackaging them, still in original foils, just with a paper personalised wrapper around (ie over the original brand wrapper) - very confusing to say the least!

Totally with the character etc copyright but confused with the sweets side of things

You would only have a problem if they were either counterfeit and using the real brand name or you were selling them under another name not associated with the company or their product.

They don't have to be supplied by wholesalers to be sold commercially by someone else. Some of the goods I sold was purchased in supermarkets as it was cheaper than the wholesaler and cash and carry.

It is for business, and they are available wholesale, i would advertise as the brand they actually are but just personalised. Not unpackaging them, still in original foils, just with a paper personalised wrapper around (ie over the original brand wrapper) - very confusing to say the least!

Totally with the character etc copyright but confused with the sweets side of things

Nothing stopping you doing that, as you are not touching the branded goods. All you are doing is adding further packaging. The same as if you bought chocolates in John Lewis and they added gift packaging.

Can't see any legal issues. Your business is a retail gift provider selling branded goods which you add personalised gift packaging to.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

So....for example, I'm looking at swizells love hearts and polo mints - i buy them in bulk, i leave the foils on, add my own paper wrapper with for instance names and date of a wedding but aslong as I advertise as 'love hearts' and 'polos' - that's ok? Obviously i can't rename the product as 'personalised candy buttons' or 'sarahs amazing mints' lol!! Aslong as customers know the brand then all is good?!

Thanks guys, appreciated very much

I think you'd also need to leave the original Polo/Love Hearts wrapper ontop of the foil as well if there's multiple layers of packaging. You can add more packaging on, just not remove anything.

That's how I understand it anyway.

Ahh right ok so leave them as they are, just overwrap them - then i guess the customer still sees the branding :)

and all the legal stuff about ingredients etc, otherwise you'd also have to include that on your wrapper

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.