style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3275 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Everyone!

I have recently found a suitable property to rent in my local area via Rightmove and, after reading the information provided regarding fees, (Admin charge £50 and Referencing fee £75 plus vat) I contacted the letting agent for a viewing.

I contacted the agent following my viewing, to express my interest in renting the property, who explained the fees had increased to £200 because,

"we have had a spate of people applying for properties and pulling out at the last minute. So we increased the amount to prevent this from happening"

I insisted that I was only willing to pay £150, as advertised, initially and the letting agent reluctantly accepted.

I have now been informed that my application has failed due to adverse credit and I will require a guarantor to continue with my application.

After checking my credit file online, I have not found any adverse credit which would affect my application. Furthermore, I do not have anybody to act as a guarantor ...not that I'd be rude enough to ask in the first place!

The agent has also informed me that they cannot refund the £150.

Is there anything I can do?

Which magazine and CAB are interested in copies of all correspondence with letting fees etc, go to their site and report with copies of all correspondence you have also name the letting agent i..e. sounds like a company with the 1st letter beginning with !M! also another with the letter !P!

where they can get away with an admin charge when in fact they tell you to go to a Landlords site and apply there for checks to be made i.e. CRA @£25 each person, and admin charge of £150 non returnable is paramount to fraud they even list some 6 + extra charges in cases from services to renewal cost of £60 after 6 months, Landlords are to blame here for allowing them to do this!

:mad2::-x:jaw::sad:

After checking my credit file online, I have not found any adverse credit

This is potentially an "advance fee fraud" where they are taking fees with no intention of doing the work.

If they have conducted a credit reference there will be evidence of the search on one of the credit reference agencies (Callcredit, Equifax and Experian). It would not surprise me if they have not done a search.

Have you had anything in writing from them. They should have given you a list of fees at the start of the discussion. Have you anything in writing explaining why they have rejected your application?

Has the agent signed up to a redress scheme:

http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/private_renting/problems_with_renting/letting_agent_redress_schemes