style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3305 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Has the 'intern' phenomenon of recent years been discussed here? ie free work for cheap bosses and greedy line managers?

Today was looking a roles and this genius company appeared... a google search reveals little else.

Intern Rec Ltd - Birmingham

Anyone got any thoughts on this practice, in general? ie 'Come and work for us and you might get a job! In the mean time we get free stuff'.

I think it's an 'interesting' way of working. It seems to be most prevalent in areas where recent, relevant experience is absolutely key to securing a job in the sector, for new entrants therefore it can be a valuable way to access that experience. Do I think it's right for everyone? No, it's only really valuable where the person interested has decided resolutely that this is the career path they want to follow. It's not all that recent either I don't think, it's certainly very common in the third sector where paid positions, when they do come up, often go to volunteers.

Is it right for someone just 'job-searching', no absolutely not. But, if you've decided it's absolutely what you want AND can support yourself while doing it then I see no harm.

My views are my own and are not representative of any organisation. if you've found my post helpful please click on the star below.

My issue with Internships is this.

In most cases you "Need to be able to support yourself"

All well and good, but you are putting them out of reach from people that may have the talent but not the money to be able to do so.

It imposes a glass ceiling on the industry.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

my son had this problem when he graduated and needed to do professional practice before coming chartered. Every one man operation will offer you an internship as long as you know more than they do but it doesnt help you get a job afterwards because nobody has heard of them. If the internship for an engineer for example is Ove Arup then well and good but some bathroom installer in Bogborough on sea doesnt have the same clout. Same goes with Lawyers, architects, accountants.... Even cleaning companies and pubs are trying it on claiming that you need to do this for x months before you are trained enough to push a mop or pull a pint.

Slave labour is so 2010. Free labour is the new "in".

"Wages" are for evil lefties! Smart people work for free. And why not pay the company for the privilege of having a job?

"Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for Poundland"

I'd rather be an intern than sent to a pound shop to stack shelves for free, we are nearly back to the old YTS schemes, the government (all just as bad whichever party) just got coy and didn't give the schemes a name.

I was in a pound bakery the other day and saw an advert for "apprentice" shop assistants, no disrespect but you take cash or put food in an oven and check the temperature when the buzzer beeps (the overjoyed minimum wage till assistants own words).

Up the street the local chippy has just taken on an apprentice -

I genuinely worry for kids these days trying to get into any job. At least with an intern they may actually end up with a career if they have rich parents, most folk have little chance of anything other than living week to week.

Gets off soap box