Employer has refused Tax Refund

anon91
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3314 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there,

I am having a bit of an issue with my employer, basically I was on the wrong tax code and so was mistakenly taxed an excess of about £1000. I spoke to HMRC and they informed me they had told the company that they had to refund me as a tax refund. Despite my tax amount accrued dropping on my next pay slip the company are refusing any knowledge of it and despite calling hmrc and sending a letter I haven't heard anything from the letter and they told me something about it potentially being too late. I have sinced been dismissed after raising grievances about this (within the 2 year requirement for unfair dismissal :( ). Is it the case that I will never get this tax back? I'm completely at a loss of what to do right now.

Anon

When ever I've been due a tax refund, HMRC has always sent the payment directly to me. I'd suggest going back to HMRC and pestering them until you get a cheque out of them.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

My understanding is that if it occurred during the current year then your employer refunds you. If for a previous year then HMRC should send you a cheque.

This is correct as hmrc have stated except the employer deducted from by YTD total and didn't refund me. They have refused any knowledge of it an have actually told HMRC that they have paid it :/ is it the case the HMRC should chase it for m? This doesn't seem like a lot of advisory information for this on the net anywhere as it probably doesn't happen often!

It maybe they will refund over a period of time either by no deductions or part deductions rather than a lump sum. Have they since corrected your Tax Code?

The problem is this happened a while ago and they haven't done this, my tax code was changed and every email I have sent they have flat out denied any refund whatsoever which means they know about it but still are denying it. Doesn't this mean they are breaking the law in some way?