style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3331 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I let my flat out for 12 months last year to a friend of a friend who towards the end of our tennancy agreement left to go 'travelling' without paying her electricity bill.

Obviously I know now that I should have switched to a pre payment meter for the duration of her agreement.

When she moved in she organised a switch of supplier to her name and I foolishly thought that any arears if any would be her responsibility and have absolutely nothing to do with me.

Now that shes gone and im back home npower wont allow me to switch supplier unless i clear the debt in her name which im refusing to do but in the mean time they are supplying the electricity to a property that is mine to a tennant that no longer lives here?

Please advise

In gullible and naive frustration

x

Have you got start and end meter readings for the period of her tenancy?

The contract didn't exist between you and Npower, so they should really be pursuing your friend and not you. The fact she switched the supplier in her name should be enough to prove her tenancy, but if you have something in writing to show a tenancy agreement existed then that will help you.

Start of by sending them an SAR. It will be interesting to see if they send you details of your tenant's account - which they shouldn't - of if they refuse on the basis that it is not your data. In which case they paint themselves into a corner

Ask for all data - and including data relating to account number XXXXthe tenant's accountXXX. (you must specifically mention this)

Send it now.

At the same time but in a separate letter - separate envelope, send them a formal complaint outlining what they are doing and what is your position.

It would also be a very good idea if, following our customer services advice, you call them and have an extended conversation with them and get as much verbal evidence as possible.

Npower are clearly in the wrong - in fact Npower are clearly off their trolley - and the only question is - how best to deal with the problem.

I expect that the quickest way will be a small claim for nuisance