ESA support group and working from home craft work.

Lilly_Monroe
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3336 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I filled out the form to do some craft work from home (I am in the support group) I got a call asking me about it - and a start date which was sorted out.

The lady said it will 'make a difference' and I will be asked to send them receipts and the likes.

I have heard nothing back so not sure what to do next (this was over 2 weeks ago).

Plus I am afraid by what she means in 'this will make a difference'.

Will I lose my benefit, I am only talking selling a few items a week maybe month (some times not even that) to get some money back so I can buy more craft items (I understand the need to keep a check on me) but I am not going into business, and could never support myself.

The craft work is to keep my mind occupied and stop the mental health problems completely taking over my life.

I am not sure what I should do now/next as I am worried.:-(

If you fail to declare ANY income you are committing benefit fraud simple.

If you are doing this just to make ends meet you should notify the DWP that your are selling items to make money, as then if you declare it they will make any adjustments to your money you get.

If you fail to declare a change of circumstances within a reasonable period of time the DWP could investigate you. You could get in to a lot of trouble, have your benefits stopped or sanctioned or even have to pay a penalty.

Have a read here https://www.gov.uk/benefit-fraud

The above may seem harsh but is the right thing to say to you, but what is written below is advice where you can get help and be able to do your therapy in a proper way and not get in to trouble, plus the added benefit of maybe not having to pay for materials and still get the therapy by making things to help your mind. You can always donate your work to the group and this will allow them to sell the items so they can get more goods for the group, how does that sound to you?

There are ways you can do this work and not do anything wrong like joining a therapy group, ask your health team about this. This is normally called resource therapy and is the totally right way to go about this. See here http://www.sept.nhs.uk/our-services/essex/south-essex-mental-health-services/adults/community-teams/resource-therapy/ you will need to find a service in your area, the link above is one for this part of the country.

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and leave a note to let me know, thank you.

If you fail to declare ANY income you are committing benefit fraud simple.

If you are doing this just to make ends meet you should notify the DWP that your are selling items to make money, as then if you declare it they will make any adjustments to your money you get.

If you fail to declare a change of circumstances within a reasonable period of time the DWP could investigate you. You could get in to a lot of trouble, have your benefits stopped or sanctioned or even have to pay a penalty.

Have a read here https://www.gov.uk/benefit-fraud

The above may seem harsh but is the right thing to say to you, but what is written below is advice where you can get help and be able to do your therapy in a proper way and not get in to trouble, plus the added benefit of maybe not having to pay for materials and still get the therapy by making things to help your mind. You can always donate your work to the group and this will allow them to sell the items so they can get more goods for the group, how does that sound to you?

There are ways you can do this work and not do anything wrong like joining a therapy group, ask your health team about this. This is normally called resource therapy and is the totally right way to go about this. See here http://www.sept.nhs.uk/our-services/essex/south-essex-mental-health-services/adults/community-teams/resource-therapy/ you will need to find a service in your area, the link above is one for this part of the country.

I HAVE NOT FAILED TO DECLARE ANY INCOME!!

I have filled out the correct form and told the DWP what I intend to do - why are you scaring me (read my post)!

It is not to make ends meet, it is the work/hours you are allowed to do when in the support group.

I am only doing what is written here (well less really ) and it says people in the support group are allowed so long as they inform the DWP (which I have).

http://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/Permitted-Work-Rules

My illness means I do not go out (other than doctors or to see my CPN) so working from home and trying to sell a few items on the internet is my only option. I keep ALL receipts for the few items I buy (all of this I have told to the DWP) I am not cheating or hiding anything - or making money.

My question was concerning will they write to me and explain it all in more detail so I have a black white copy of the dates and details.

Sorry to have seemed harsh.

If you ask JCP for the information they will send this out to you, if you want them to they can send it out in the next few days. If you sell your items only to buy new things for your "work" then JCP will look at it for what it is therapy for you, they may consider it an income for various reasons but maybe if you ask your CPN to give you a letter that says that your well being will be enhanced by doing this it will/may help the JCP/DWP understand a bit more about you.

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and leave a note to let me know, thank you.

Sorry to have seemed harsh.

If you ask JCP for the information they will send this out to you, if you want them to they can send it out in the next few days. If you sell your items only to buy new things for your "work" then JCP will look at it for what it is therapy for you, they may consider it an income for various reasons but maybe if you ask your CPN to give you a letter that says that your well being will be enhanced by doing this it will/may help the JCP/DWP understand a bit more about you.

Thank you - much appreciated.

I told the lady from the DWP when she rang me about why I was doing it, and that it would be very hit and miss depending on how I was feeling.

I was also hoping (long shot at the moment) but it might at some time get me out more to buy bits and pieces. She seemed to understand.

I have discussed this with my CPN and she said it can only be a 'good thing.

I know people claim money and then work, please believe me this this is not about that.

I live alone as well as the MH problems I also have arthritis in my fingers, so craft work helps keep the joints more flexible.

I am all worried now.

You have filled out the correct forms and notified the staff at JCP. A letter from your CPN will go a long way to helping you, not only will it be kept on file they may be able to offer extra help like, recommending groups like Resource Therapy or Therapy for you, this can be done via your GP as well.

Many people have their own ways in getting help in occupying their mind, maybe this could be assisted if the next time you sign on if you do by asking the advisor if they have any groups that they can put you in contact with as well.

If your CPN is willing, ask them if they could suggest that you could be considered for a community grant from your local Council for the items you need, this would cost you nothing and give you something to look forward to. you could always ask them to other aids as well.

I am all worried now.

As long as you keep a record of how much you earn along with the money spent on equipment & materials, you shouldn't have anything to worry about. Keep the DWP informed of any money earned from your endeavours - do it in writing so that you have a paper trail.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

As long as you keep a record of how much you earn along with the money spent on equipment & materials, you shouldn't have anything to worry about. Keep the DWP informed of any money earned from your endeavours - do it in writing so that you have a paper trail.

Thank You for your reply.

I have decided not to go ahead - I will write and tell the DWP but I know I will screw it all up, and then probably end up in trouble.

It has taken me so long to get the benefits I am on there is no way I want to lose anything over a few craft items.

I will keep what I make or use as presents.

The whole thing has got me so paranoid it has made me feel worse not better.

I hate that someone on here already thought I was going to be using it to 'make money' and defraud the DWP.:sad: and I guess others will think the same.

Much Appreciated.