Bullied by employer

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3348 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have been absent from work since early December with two inpatient stays at hospital and am still receiving ongoing outpatient treatment for a debilitating condition. All of my time off has been covered by sick notes which I have duly given to my employers along with regular weekly updates as best I can. I was asked to attend a meeting with their occupational health team a couple of weeks back which I attended and explained my issues to which they appeared to be fully understanding of. I have now received a 'Recorded Delivery' letter requesting that I attend a "formal reveiw meeting" to be held in less than seven days time - at this meeting I am not allowed to have a legal representative, a family member or friend intead I can opt for a trade union representative (I am not a member) or a work colleague.

I feel that I am being unfairly treated whilst dealing with my condition and their actions are tantamount to constructive dismissal or some other illegal action.

Can they bully me in this way and is this legal?

This is not bullying. This is them saying "hey, at some point, we need a full workforce."

Totally legal. What they are interested in is when you can get back to work, so make sure you have had a good chat with your doctor and know if that is going to be possible.

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

If they use common and standard sickness letters and discussions they will even tell you if your attendance does not improve you may/will be dismissed. You have been invited to a common and standard process, they want to know when you are coming back and if you will be off again, also if there is anything they can do to get you back to work.

Sickness is just like a sand timer, depending on how reasonable your employer is and the nature of your condition will be how much sand you have to play with before it runs out and you get dismissed.

Sorry for the analogy, feeling enigmatic today

It isn't nice and it may not seem fair - after all who would choose to be ill?

Unfortunately however, and as I often quote, the employer has a business to run, and is entitled to know when you are likely to be back, and if this cannot be estimated in the light of OH and medical practitioner evidence, then whether dismissal procedures on grounds of capability are to be considered.

Definitely not bullying - more like an employer doing things properly from the look of it. Hopefully they will continue to be supportive but they will need some sort of idea of when you are likely to be fit.

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!