style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3345 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I purchased a new Skoda Citigo from a franchise dealer at the beginning of March this year. Three weeks ago the gears would not engage, I took a video of the concern. After waggling the lever about a bit, it released and I returned the car to the dealer. Under the warrenty they changed the gearbox free of charge although I had to pay £12 per day to eliminate a £1,500 excess of the insurance for the courtesy car.

The gear lever jammed again. I again took the video and again returned the car to the dealer. They kept the car for two days and have said that they cannot find a problem and they want me to collect the car.

They are suggesting that, as I have car breakdown cover, I use the car until the fault occurs again and then get the breakdown company to deliver it back to the franchise.

I am not happy about this as:

Firstly - my wife uses this car to transport our two young children to various activities and I dont want them stuck somewhere, Also, what if the fault is gearbox and the gears seize whilst driving? Besides the seriousness of this, would I be insured driving a car knowing that it has a gearbox problem?

What are my rights please? Where do I go from here? If I refuse to collect the car my wife will have serious transport issues as this time we do not have the courtesy car as there was not one available!. We bought a new car for reliability.

Edited by citizenB

As they have had sufficient opportunity to repair the fault and they have failed to do so, your rights under the sale of goods act are to have a replacement or refund at your option.

I would put this in writing to them immediately and tell them that if they won't honour their responsibilities to you as a customer then you will sue them within 14 days and without further notice.

Only make the threat if you intend to go through with it. Don't bluff. Bluffs don't work and you only lose credibility

I did a little reading on this earlier and it seems that there is a minority of people who have had similar problems. I do have to say that most reviews are very positive about the car. There doesn't seem to be any recall notices for this issue.

What some people on other forums are saying is that the fault may not be with the gearbox but with the clutch mechanism, especially if you have already had one faulty gearbox.

If you still want to reject, you can hand the keys back. If you have finance on the car it makes it more tricky but both the dealer and the finance company could be held liable.

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

If the clutch balks and is still transferring drive to the gearbox, then yes it will be difficult to move the leaver in or out of a gear. When it happens again, you should stop and switch off the engine and see then if you can then move in and out of the gears, (but not reverse).

Check there is no obstruction to full clutch pedal movement.

Edited by Conniff

Thanks for the replies and for the further research.

I am really concerned about still driving it knowing there is a fault and the insurance situation.

I am visiting the dealer tomorrow to discuss my concerns with him. Your comments will be very useful to repeat. Thank you again.