How to come off housing benefit

ROSE28454
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3385 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My friend is on Housing Benefit and ESA ( CONTRIBUTION BASED). He gets a small amount of Housing Benefit and is at present paying off a large overpayment at £10.89 a week from his HB. His ESA finishes in 2 weeks and he is probably going to claim carer's allowance ( cause he is going to look after his parents) and take a small job he's been offered.

Now he wants to come off HB but is wondering how he does it. He only gets £15.00 per week after the overpayment is taken out and would rather stand on his own now. Trouble is he is at present being investigated because of the overpayment ( which was large) and made be prosecuted. Also he gets a occupational pension and once his ESA finishes he will pay no tax on that so his income will rise.

So should he say his income will rise because of the tax, he is going to claim carers allowance and will possibly get a small job as well. Would he need to provide evidence of all this ? All he has at the moment is the letter saying the ESA is finishing.

He suffers with his nerves and the investigation etc is wearing him down and he has realised that he can manage without the HB ( even if he's entitled) and would rather walk away.

Can anyone help?

Edited by citizenB
formatting

If your friend were to stop having the HB, how will he make the repayments to the "overpayment"? I am sure that is one thing they will want to know.

I am sure others with more knowledge will respond as soon as they can.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

all he needs to do is write a letter to the HB department stating that he wants his HB award to be terminated with effect from the end of ESA

please note that terminating the HB is very unlikely to stop the ongoing investigation or a potential prosecution

If you have found my post useful, please click on the star at the bottom of my post and add some reputation points.

all he needs to do is write a letter to the HB department stating that he wants his HB award to be terminated with effect from the end of ESA

please note that terminating the HB is very unlikely to stop the ongoing investigation or a potential prosecution

Yes he realises that it will not stop the investigation. So they will accept a letter that says he wants it to be terminated with effect from end of ESA without his having to go into what his income will be. And in answer to citizenB his parents are going to help repay the money.

Yes he realises that it will not stop the investigation. So they will accept a letter that says he wants it to be terminated with effect from end of ESA without his having to go into what his income will be. And in answer to citizenB his parents are going to help repay the money.

I would think that would be acceptable. Ensure that the letter is sent using a tracked method - either recorded or special delivery. Please let us know how things go :) I would think that simply advising that circumstances have changed and that HB is no longer required will be acceptable.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Does this letter sound right.

"I am writing to inform you that I would like my claim for Housing Benefit to be terminated with effect from 20.3.15. My claim for Employment and Support Allowance ceases on that day and I am going to be caring for my elderly parents from then on and they will be helping me financially" I would be grateful if you could supply me with an account number so I may continue with the repayments of £10.89 per week in regard to the overpayment of my Housing Benefit."

Sounds ok to me, Rose. Although I would change the beginning of the first sentence to read...

"This letter is to advise that I would like my claim.... "

BCOBS

:thumb:

BCOBS

Once your ESA award ends, and providing the Council are notified by an ETD from the DWP, then they will probably write to you anyway, to ask for income details etc. If you ignore the letter, your claim will most likely be cancelled.

Thanks I wondered of DWP would write to them. He is going to get the ball rolling with the carers allowance today so it drops in after ESA finishes. We will see what happens. Dropped basic letter into council access point on Tuesday and have a receipt.