Fines on free prescriptions

Sparks_
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3261 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Aren't the majority of people who are medically exempt, those with life long conditions? Given that, can't understand why it's not automatic.

Because the NHS have decided it has to be renewed every 5 years and they will not be sending out reminders!

hi,being a diabetic myself and have been for some years now,i have the 5 yearly card and its due to be renewed later this year,and i will be renewing it without fail,however as a back up (and for my wife’s prescriptions) we also have the HC1 certificate that covers us for free prescriptions and dental care.i do agree with 'scousepie' (above) this is nothing but a tax on the sick.

• 4 months later...
Why does England pay for prescriptions and Scotland and Wales don't..

Because that is how Scotland and Wales have decided to use the money they are given - to provide free prescriptions.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

I have to renew my passport every 10 years, no one sends me a reminder, i just have to keep checking it

There is of course, the assumption that someone may have the mental capacity to check their passport renewal dates. On the otherhand, someone who is on very many different types of medication, for any number of reasons, may lack that capacity to do so. So, is it reasonable then for a paid carer (provided that the person receiving the care always gets the same one - unlikely given the current state of social care) to have to keep a check on the person's 'ticket' and apply to renew it. Likewise, are you fined for misuse when your passport expires? No. Does your passport lapsing have any impact on your health? No.

If you wished to find a closer comparator then look at your driving licence. But, of course to hold one of those there is a reasonable assumption of the holders' capacity to check its validity.

My views are my own and are not representative of any organisation. if you've found my post helpful please click on the star below.

I have to renew my passport every 10 years, no one sends me a reminder, i just have to keep checking it

But they haven't sneaked in a fine for attempting to use an out of date passport. You just won't be allowed to travel.

I don't agree that the fine is a 'tax' on the poor or the sick. It's a penalty for not abiding by set rules - which may be fair or unfair.

Certainly, if you were told you were entitled to free prescriptions for life and the rules changed, but you were not notified, that is unfair.

Often, it seems to me, that common sense is not that common in organisations like the NHS Business Services Authority. It would be sensible for the pharmacist to alert the patient (or relative/carer) that they need to renew their exemption certificate when they collected their medicine and allow a grace period for this to be completed before any fine was issued.

Whilst I understand that there are indeed life-long conditions like type I diabetes, there are exemptions for other chronic conditions which are not necessarily for ever, such as type II diabetes. Oddly, asthma, (again, not always a long-term condition) does not even qualify for exemption. Where's the fairness in that?

Don't Blue Badge holders have to re-apply every so often and capacity, surely, is even more pertinent in this instance.

I would like to know why the NHS decided on time-limited exemption certificates and what, if anything, is saved after running and administration costs are deducted.