Disciplinary for lateness

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3398 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi and thanks for reading.

My family member is getting another discplinary for lateness. She has worked for a company for over 1 1/2 years and in that time was late twice. A few months ago she was late a third time (due to buses, phoned in and explained). She got a disciplinary and apparently had received 'verbal warnings', and received a written warning at this meeting.

She was late again last week (again due to buses) and phoned to advice she would be late. She is now getting another disciplinary and has been told she will possibly get a final written warning.

These things happen and due to transport etc surely if they have phoned to advice then does that warrant a discplinary??

Help??

RBS

13/10 - Prelim sent, 19/10 - Sod Off letter recvd, 27/10 - partial offer received, 27/10 - rejection letter sent, 3/11 - SETTLED IN FULL

Cheltenham & Gloucester (ERC's)

21/11 - Prelim sent, 26/11 - sod off letter recved, 2/12 - LBA sent, 10/12 SETTLED IN FULL!!

Yes, they do - getting there on time is her responsibility, not the bus company's.

So either get an earlier bus, and have a cup of tea until start time, or find a different source of transport. After a verbal warning and a written waning, she really should have had this sorted long before now.

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

Sorry I have to agree I get into work 1/2 earlier, even though I drive and could leave home 10 minutes before my shift starts. She needs to check earlier busses and possibly alternative buses etc. As a backup pedal power too.

Bill

All information given above is purely my own opinion. Some based on personal experience. Where backed up by case files I will make that known. However, until then please take all of what I say with a pinch of salt and accept it only as a reference. :madgrin::madgrin::madgrin:

employee is contracted to be in the place of work ready to work on time

with less than 2 years service the company could of dismissed already!!!1

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

Thanks for your replies.

She goes straight from college and does not drive. So it is not possible to get to work half an hour early.

RBS

13/10 - Prelim sent, 19/10 - Sod Off letter recvd, 27/10 - partial offer received, 27/10 - rejection letter sent, 3/11 - SETTLED IN FULL

21/11 - Prelim sent, 26/11 - sod off letter recved, 2/12 - LBA sent, 10/12 SETTLED IN FULL!!

Thanks for your replies.

She goes straight from college and does not drive. So it is not possible to get to work half an hour early.

Then sadly she needs to ask to change shifts if possible. But company has no obligation to accomidate.

She agreed to the current shifts and therefore agreed to being able to start work on time. It is not the businesses problem that she is unable to fulfill her contract

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

Thanks

She started the shifts when she was at school and has requested a change of shift start time but this has not been approved so is struggling to make it on time.

Thanks for all your help,she will go to her meeting this week and hopefully still have a job as she is a young worker (

RBS

Sorry I should have said she has only been late since she started college and it finishes later than school does.

RBS

the company are doing things by the book, if they arent willing to make accommodations by changing her hours then as she is at college she should concentrate on her studies and if necessary resign and seek another job that is more suitable. Ultimately that will be better than risking the sack.

I agree

Easier to put on cv "resigned to concentrate on studies" or "Hours incompatable with studies" vs "Dismissed for poor time keeping"

I think it is very harsh for the employer to be dishing out warnings like confetti in this situation. Being a little bit late three times in 1 1/2 years due to transport problems does not sound unreasonable to me, especially when we are talking about a part-time worker who goes to work straight after college. Although it is legal.

It doesn't sound like she can do anything about it other than explain the situation to the employer. Given her hours I imagine any replacement employee would also be a college student who would suffer from the same occasional lateness anyway. It is not worth getting stressed about this.

If she gets dismissed, then so be it. I very much doubt that anyone in the future would know or care what the reason was. Having to leave a part-time job because it was not compatible with college hours is a perfectly acceptable reason.

It depends on the job she is doing.

If her lateness is causing servere disruption then I can understand. I used to have problems with late staff myself. And due to the way the business was run, if they were late and others did not stay on to cover them, I HAD TO CLOSE THE STORE till they arrived. The impact on customers and trade was considerable.

we aremaking assumptions that the employer hires students. Who says that most of the staff there are?

The young lady is working for the company and whilst it is admirable that she is continuing her education she is also in the real world where she has to make choices sometimes hard ones.

We may feel the company is being heavy handed but lets face it that's how the company obviously feels it needs to progress.

The company are there to make profit not to service the needs of it's employees outside of it's contractual obligations whilst I feel for this young lady. If the company are unable or unwilling to make adjustments she may need to look at a new course, leave college or resign from work.

Can she take study leave? Is she in a union who can advise knowing that companies policies/

Decisions Decissions

Regards Bill

All information given above is purely my own opinion. Some based on personal experience. Where backed up by case files I will make that known. However, until then please take all of what I say with a pinch of salt and accept it only as a reference. :madgrin::madgrin::madgrin: