Can my partner be my guarantor for tenancy agreement?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3408 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Partner and i are due to rent a property. They have told me that my partner would be 100% responsible for the rent as he earns more than me. Despite this they have told me as i have a CCJ i would need a guarantor who has a proven income of £22,000??

My partner is earning all the money to pay for the rent (3 x what the they need for minimum amount) yet they say i need to fin someone who is earning £22,000?

Why do they need someone earning over 22,000 for my share if the contract has my partner down for 100% of the rent??

Can my partner be my guarantor?

Another thing the estate agent told me that experian make the decision and they have now *closed the case* ........i called experian they said they provide the reports that's all they do not make decisions like that.

Is it just me or does this seem odd?

I don't understand this either? If the rent agreement is to be in your partner's name, I wouldn't have thought it was necessary for them to have made any checks on you at all ?

I am not sure if your partner can be guarantor or not. It might be they want someone independent.

Experian are correct - they only provide the data for companies to then make up their own mind. So the Estate Agent appears to be misleading you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

I don't understand this either? If the rent agreement is to be in your partner's name, I wouldn't have thought it was necessary for them to have made any checks on you at all ?

I am not sure if your partner can be guarantor or not. It might be they want someone independent.

Experian are correct - they only provide the data for companies to then make up their own mind. So the Estate Agent appears to be misleading you.

Thank you for your reply.

We applied for the property in joint names taking my earnings into consideration.

Credit came back saying partner is fine, he will be 100% responsible for rent. I however need a guarantor who needs to be earning 22,000 to cover my half of the rent due to my CCJ?? despite them telling me partner is 100% responsible??

In a joint T, all occupants are 'jointly & severally liable' for rent etc and would need to pass ind credit checks.

Your partner is acceptable as sole named T, you are not, so let partner become sole T with you as 'permitted occupier' or 'guest'.

A risk to your continued occupation if you and partner fall out or he gives LL due Notice IMO.

All rent is due from 'the Tenant', even in a joint T, so there are no individual 'shares'.