Only 1 room left...

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3435 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I was wondering if anyone has any knowledge of the legality of this very common practice.

I recently booked a holiday at a very popular resort in Turkey where for the summer holiday months you usually have to book up to a year in advance. We have been 3 times previously and are very familiar with the resort and accommodation etc. Just before xmas on the Thomas Cook website it showed (for our party size and dates) the red flashing text, 'only one room remaining'. Fearing I would miss out, I booked.

Out of curiosity, I then went back in and entered the same details and sure enough, it was still flashing, 'one room remaining' (same price, same flights etc) allowing me to go through and book.

My issue is that the evidently false claim that there was only one room remaining influenced my decision to book at that time, when in theory a better deal may have been available at a later date.

These limited availability claims are very common and I suspect we are being mislead into purchasing decisions we would not otherwise make through fear of missing out altogether.

Thanks in advance

FF

Hi

I would grab some screen shots of the offending web site and report this to the Advertising Standards Agency as it obviously influenced your decision to book now.

http://www.asa.org.uk/Consumers/How-to-complain.aspx

I would also complain to Thomas Cook for allowing this practice.

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Hi, thanks. I suspect it is more for Trading Standards than the ASA.

I spoke with Thomas Cook and they claim it is a system issue as it takes time to update the system after the initial booking and if I had tried to actually complete the booking i would have received an error. I'm not sure I completely believe the claim however I'm not going to book two identical holidays to prove the point!

FF