The Turning of the Worm

Philip Hindley
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6396 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

At last!! Having found your site I feel as though I've come home!

I've been a "customer" of Lloyds TSB for 23 years, and for most of that time I've been made to feel like a naughty schoolboy, or a cretin who was incapable of coping with the simple task of his own financial management.

My problems with TSB (as it then was) began when I was working out of the country for a six month period, having set up an additional standing order to cover payments to a further advance on my Mortgage (with Alliance & Leicester).

In my absence the bank paid the second standing order, but cancelled the first, rather than paying the two in tandem.

On my return, I discovered that I had been served a repossession order by the Building Society and that my instructions to my then partner to feel free to spend whatever money was left in the current account at the end of the month had been obeyed to the letter!

Needless to say on reproaching TSB, I was told that I should have made sure there was enough money left in the account to cover the payments which were not made. This was in 1988, ( you remember, 15% interest rates et al.)

Thus began a 15 year struggle to fight repeated threats of repossession and enough letters from the bank to paper the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel (and Buckingham Palace, etc.)

Why do I stay with them???

Because, of course, as a consequence of a poor credit rating I've been unable to open another bank account.

However, even a worm can turn, and ,having read your forum, I've decided the time for action has arrived.

I've prepared a letter (copied from your library) which will be posted tomorrow, and though I feel terrified at the prospect, I'm determined to go through with this to the bitter end. I'm not sure how it will be possible to manage if they make me close my account but my anger is such that it is a risk that I am prepared to take.

May I thank you and all your correspondents for providing the inspiration to do something about a situation which has caused me despair for many, many years

Phil

I've been a "customer" of Lloyds TSB for 23 years, and for most of that time I've been made to feel like a naughty schoolboy, or a cretin who was incapable of coping with the simple task of his own financial management.

My problems with TSB (as it then was) began when I was working out of the country for a six month period, having set up an additional standing order to cover payments to a further advance on my Mortgage (with Alliance & Leicester).

In my absence the bank paid the second standing order, but cancelled the first, rather than paying the two in tandem.

On my return, I discovered that I had been served a repossession order by the Building Society and that my instructions to my then partner to feel free to spend whatever money was left in the current account at the end of the month had been obeyed to the letter!

Needless to say on reproaching TSB, I was told that I should have made sure there was enough money left in the account to cover the payments which were not made. This was in 1988, ( you remember, 15% interest rates et al.)

Thus began a 15 year struggle to fight repeated threats of repossession and enough letters from the bank to paper the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel (and Buckingham Palace, etc.)

Why do I stay with them???

Because, of course, as a consequence of a poor credit rating I've been unable to open another bank account.

However, even a worm can turn, and ,having read your forum, I've decided the time for action has arrived.

I've prepared a letter (copied from your library) which will be posted tomorrow, and though I feel terrified at the prospect, I'm determined to go through with this to the bitter end. I'm not sure how it will be possible to manage if they make me close my account but my anger is such that it is a risk that I am prepared to take.

May I thank you and all your correspondents for providing the inspiration to do something about a situation which has caused me despair for many, many years

Phil

I hold an account with Noddy's toy town bank too and again at least 23 years. I moved last year to Nationwide and ended up with a basic bank account due to LLoysTsb helping me in great detail to get into debt, so my credit rating is well stuffed too. Have a good search on the info threads as i'm sure there has been a post stating that they are trying to find a way round being able to claim back charges for longer than 6 years, if its possible it sounds like it may help you. good luck screwing them :twisted:

Lloyds TSB -Settled in full 30/08/06 :)

Now whoes next :)

I hold an account with Noddy's toy town bank too and again at least 23 years. I moved last year to Nationwide and ended up with a basic bank account due to LLoysTsb helping me in great detail to get into debt, so my credit rating is well stuffed too. Have a good search on the info threads as i'm sure there has been a post stating that they are trying to find a way round being able to claim back charges for longer than 6 years, if its possible it sounds like it may help you. good luck screwing them :twisted:

Lloyds TSB -Settled in full 30/08/06 :)

Now whoes next :)

I've been a "customer" of Lloyds TSB for 23 years,

Any chance that you have your original contract with Lloyds hanging around somewhere?

I've been a "customer" of Lloyds TSB for 23 years,

Any chance that you have your original contract with Lloyds hanging around somewhere?

What!!!!!!!!!!

Be able to claim back unfair penalties over 23 years?????????

If only it were possible!

Can you imagine the time Lloyds would have to spend digging out all those microfiches?

Can you imagine the cost of posting all those statements?

Can you imagine how much it would cost them in repaying all that taken money?(':D')(':D')(':D')

It's almost enough to make me feel sorry for them. (not really!)

It's so long since I opened my account, I'm not sure what my original contract would look like to find it. Unfortunately, in common with many people, my filing skills are not very highly developed,which is probably how I came to have so much trouble with the bank in the first place. I always trusted them to get things right and to operate ethically and correctly. (WHAT A FOOL!!!)

If it is important, perhaps I could ask the bank for a copy of the original by quoting the Data Protection Act at them? Any chance, do you think?

Phil

What!!!!!!!!!!

Be able to claim back unfair penalties over 23 years?????????

If only it were possible!

Can you imagine the time Lloyds would have to spend digging out all those microfiches?

Can you imagine the cost of posting all those statements?

Can you imagine how much it would cost them in repaying all that (edit)money?(':D')(':D')(':D')

It's almost enough to make me feel sorry for them. (not really!)

It's so long since I opened my account, I'm not sure what my original contract would look like to find it. Unfortunately, in common with many people, my filing skills are not very highly developed,which is probably how I came to have so much trouble with the bank in the first place. I always trusted them to get things right and to operate ethically and correctly. (WHAT A FOOL!!!)

If it is important, perhaps I could ask the bank for a copy of the original by quoting the Data Protection Act at them? Any chance, do you think?

Phil

If it is important, perhaps I could ask the bank for a copy of the original by quoting the DPA at them? Any chance, do you think?

It might be useful if you could ask them for the original contract by DPA request or else a copy of what passed for the contract 23 years ago.

If it is important, perhaps I could ask the bank for a copy of the original by quoting the DPA at them? Any chance, do you think?

It might be useful if you could ask them for the original contract by DPA request or else a copy of what passed for the contract 23 years ago.

Spent the last few days going through literally hundreds of statements and bank letters, and guess what?

Over the last six years I seem to have incurred penalty charges and\or admin. fees from:

Alliance & Leicester

HSBC

Capital One

Halifax

MBNA

Accordingly I have sent off the downloaded letter and DPA request by recorded delivery to each one.

If I have to issue Court proceedings against each or all of them, is it possible\adviseable\preferable to do this individually or collectively? (I am assuming the total will be less than £5000.)

Once again, thanks for the support.

Phil

Spent the last few days going through literally hundreds of statements and bank letters, and guess what?

Over the last six years I seem to have incurred penalty charges and\or admin. fees from:

Alliance & Leicester

HSBC

Capital One

Halifax

MBNA

Accordingly I have sent off the downloaded letter and DPA request by recorded delivery to each one.

If I have to issue Court proceedings against each or all of them, is it possible\adviseable\preferable to do this individually or collectively? (I am assuming the total will be less than £5000.)

Once again, thanks for the support.

Phil

You would pursue them individually.

Have you got access to your orignal contract? Did you ask for it in your DPA request?

You would pursue them individually.

Have you got access to your orignal contract? Did you ask for it in your DPA request?

I'd be interested to see if a contract which was prepared 23 years ago gave them the right then to increase their charges in the way that modern contracts appear to allow.

It's a long shot but it would be funny if it didn't.

Received a letter, this morning, from an un-named individual at "Collections and Recoveries Concerns"................

"I was most concerned to learn of your complaint following your recent communication. (Library letter and DPA request)

I've arranged for a member of my Customer Concerns team to carry out an immediate investigation, so that you will receive a full response from us.Because of the issues you've raised,, it may take a little time to gather all the information together, but we will respond to you within 15 days."

On Monday, I intend to send the following reply:

I appreciate your concerns, but would respectfully suggest that, were they as grave and well-founded as mine, you would acquiesce to an immediate refund of all the penalty charges arbitrarily imposed on my account within the last six years, as per my original demand.

I notice that you have made no mention of my request, under the Data Protection Act, for an exhaustive list of all charges applied to this account over the past six years.

In addition, and under the terms of the same Act, I would like to request a list of all occasions when manual intervention has been used to apply or cancel charges to my account. If no such manual intervention has taken place, then please confirm this, in writing.

Also, again under the terms of the DPA, I would like to request a copy of the original contract between the TSB, as it then was, and myself, made, I believe in 1983 or thereabouts.

Have I missed anything out?

Is there anything else I should do,or just wait until they send me the statements, etc.?

Phil

• 4 weeks later...

Found out, last week, that the letter I received from Lloyds (see previous post) was regarding a credit card I had with them, and nothing to do with my current account at all.

Accordingly, I wrote back repeating my original DPA request, additionally asking for a copy of my original contract.

Despite my being most specific with regard to the information I required under the Act, today, I received a letter from Sabine Griffiths at the Data Protection Request Team, enclosing a four page questionaire and a request for the £10 fee.

This I will do today.

Can't help but feel that these are more stalling tactics being employed by Lloyds!

Phil

My friend had similar forms from Egg, told them we were not willing to fill them out, in they end they agreed that there was no requirement to do this under the DPA request. Their excuse was this would enable them to get the right information about you,,,,,,,,,,, I wonder?

regarding getting another bank account.

I know in this day and age realy we are all over a barrel, and direct debit and plastic and spoken money is the future, but that is why alot of us are here right..

I have already opened up a normal savings account in a building society that does not allow overdarfts with a low income or savings which is wonderfull :-).

It is more time consuming as i have to go in 1 saturday a month and have cheques made out for bills.

But seeing my money and knowing, no game is being played has taken a great wieght off my mind.

Now to get LLoyds Off the bottom of my shoe and im home and dry ( and sleep at night)

good luck with your requests, i await your big payout ;-)

jules

Hi, Bankoff,

Thought about what you said, and decided to telephone Sabine Griffiths.

She was very nice and apologised on behalf of the Branch and Customer Services, who had not replied to my previous correspondence. She said she had received an e-mail from Colmore Row asking for a full DPA disclosure, which was why she had got involved.

She told me Customer Services should have let me have the information, re charges to my account, and that she would e-mail them asking them to do so, as a matter of urgency.

I said that if she did that, then I would return her form,together with the £10 fee, as there were one or two other pieces of information (eg my original contract) that I would find useful.

She did say that, what had started as a trickle (of DPA requests) had become a flood. No surprise there then!

Phil

Phillip

If you're worried about another account go for a Nat West step account (details on this forum somewhere) I thought I hell would freeze over before I could open another bank account but after advice from this forum I went and applied for one and got the letter stating I'd been accepted yesterday

She did say that, what had started as a trickle (of DPA requests) had become a flood. No surprise there then!

Did you warn her that the dam hasn't even burst yet?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6396 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks