Dismissal during probation time

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3505 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all!

I have an employment issue I would need some advice on.

I am an experienced architect in London. Several weeks ago I was approached by an recruitment agency on behalf of a small developer in North London who was looking for a senior technical architect.

Since I was not happy with my employment at that time I agreed to an interview with the developer. The interview went very well and after one week the developer wanted to meet me again for a second interview.

The next day the recruitment agent on behalf of the developer made me an offer with a very attractive pay package and 3 month probation time which i accepted.

Consequently I gave my then employer notice in accordance with my contractual notice period.

In the weeks to the start of my new position on 28/10/2014 the recruitment agent chased the developer for a contract, which they said they would give to me on the start date, which is quite common in the architectural sector.

However the day I took up my new position at the developer the contract was not issued to me. I ask the creative director, who had interviewed and hired me, for the contract and she informed that they normally only set up a contract after the probation time. I was not happy about this at all as you can imagine.

However during my first week at their offices it became apparent that there was a fundamental discrepancy between role they had hired me for and role I was actually assigned to. This lead to some disagreement between me and the the creative director regarding the work I was supposed to do.

On the end of Tuesday 04/11/2014 the creative director called me into a one on one meeting which I was lead to believe was related to a project I was working on. Without any prior warning she then told me that she does not want me to come back the next day because she thinks I would lack the 'passion' for their work.

I was utterly stunned by her announcement but agreed to leave after she confirmed that I will be paid for the 6 days I had worked for them.

I must admit that I feel a bit embarrassed about the whole situation and the way I let them treat me. From what I have read on-line they way they dealt with the situation would count as unfair dismissal. I also believe that even without a contract I should be entitled to some kind of notice period.

I am now concerned that they might not pay me at all since one week passed already and I have not heard from them.

Therefore I would appreciate your advice on what legal procedures there are, if any, to make them pay me for the 6 days I worked for them.

Kind regards,

You don't have unfair dismissal rights until you have 2 years' service and you don't have the right to notice until you have a month's service, unfortunately.

You are of course entitled to be paid for the 6 days worked. I imagine you will get that in the next company payroll. If you are unsure then you should ask.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

usually you;d also be paid a weeks notice which is implied in the absence of a contract, I think. And a smattering of holiday pay.

Small claims court (via money claim online) is fastest and cheapest, but write them a letter before action first setting out what you think you are owed and why.

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!