When is it necessary to SORN?

caro
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3478 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Went to tax OH's car on line on Friday only to find the MOT ran out the week before. Oops!

Booked it in for MOT same day (31st October) but it failed on a couple of minor points which were to be put right today. Turned out one of the minor points wasn't so minor and we're currently trying to source some bits. All in hand but could take a few days.

Meanwhile car is neither taxed nor SORN, but hopefully will be sorted in the next few days.

Question is should it be SORN in the meantime or is there any leeway?

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

No, there is no leeway. Not with the DVLA SS!

Get it SORN just to be on the safe side. That will automatically be canceled once you tax the vehicle, but it saves you getting nasty letters (or worse) from Swansea. I've seen 3 (different) DVLA 'enforcement' vans today on my travels, so with these new rules, they're out, and hunting in packs :)

Please note that my posts are my opinion only and should not be taken as any kind of legal advice.
In fact, they're probably just waffling and can be quite safely and completely ignored as you wish.

The car is genuinely off road, as at the garage but I will get it done. Thanks dragonfly.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Oh dear.

Service Unavailable

We’re really sorry that our online licensing service is not currently available. We’ll be back as soon as we can.

with car tax you can do it over the phone. Wonder if you can with SORN as well?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

with car tax you can do it over the phone. Wonder if you can with SORN as well?

You can! Did it last night as per post above. :)

Maybe off topic, but today I received my road tax reminder and it says that "all drivers must be covered by motor insurance when they use a motor vehicle on the road or any other public place".

Does this mean that we can keep a vehicle on private land without insurance and still be able to tax and mot it?

Does this mean that we can keep a vehicle on private land without insurance and still be able to tax and mot it?

If not insured and not SORN, that could be the different offence by the registered keeper, if it doesn't meet the insurance requirement - s.144A, Road Traffic Act 1988.

Under recent law, it doesnt matter where the vehicle is kept. It must be sorn if it isnt insured or taxed. It's a very simple law, but a HUGE money maker for the government and friends.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

road tax reminder ... says that "all drivers must be covered by motor insurance when they use a motor vehicle on the road or any other public place".

If not insured and not SORN, that could be the different offence by the registered keeper, if it doesn't meet the insurance requirement - s.144A, Road Traffic Act 1988.

So DVLA are being less than crystal clear or complete in their Reminder (unless there is more than the quote given).

For what motive? Out of Court settlements that go straight into their own pocket? Or am I too cynical?

DVLA arent obliged to even send out a reminder. Thats why they sometimes do it, then when they dont, or they sense an easy chance to place a fine and get some cash, they say they arent obliged to.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

DVLA arent obliged to even send out a reminder.

But if they do decide to send a reminder, surely it should be 100% accurate.

A private trader would feel the wrath of Trading Standards (at best) if they tried being partially accurate and partially deceptive as to the position.

The word 'entrapment' comes to mind but I am unsure how to incorporate it in this post!

• 1 month later...

Sorn should be done within 2 weeks. I wouldn't worry too much as they are not strict on this, I have left a car over a month before declaring sorn and it has been fine. My last car I left it 3 weeks and have just sorn it no problem.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?434722-DVLA-Fine-for-non-taxed-vehicle

Don't need the V5C to sorn it if you don't have it.