employer cancelling holiday that was approved 6 months ago

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3517 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I wonder if anyone can offer any advice.

I have a weeks holiday booked in november which was authorised by my manager in april, my manager is now saying i may not be able to have this holiday as it's during a busy period (surely then he shouldn't have authorised it in the first place) i know that employers can cancel holidays in some instances and i haven't booked to go away as such but have arranged to visit family on the other side of the country but my issue is that at this stage there is no availability left for the rest of the holiday year for me to change to another week and my employer does not allow holiday to be carried over to the next year. Can they really do this? As this would result in me losing a weeks holiday? If they had brought this issue up sooner i may have been able to book an alternative week but there is now no availability.as they approved holiday that they shouldn't have and this was approved 6 months ago and cancelling it would result in me losing holiday that I'm entitled to through no fault of my own surely they can't do this?

I will be speaking to a senior manager regarding this when im at work next and will also give acas a call but wondered if anyone has any advice or experience in this subject

Thanks in advance

If your employer has to cancel any pre-booked holidays, and you can't then take the holidays before the holiday year runs out, you will either be paid for the time you will otherwise lose, or the days will be added to the next years holiday allowance.

They are the only 2 options available to your employer, and they WILL have to choose one or the other.

They sound unreasonable, have you already paid for the holiday ?, If so and you cant get a refund, Id cliam that money from your employer, the fact that they appear to nbot let you take hioliday at another time or carry it over or pay you is unreasonable and no doubt unlawful.

You cannot carry holiday over and mat not be paid in lieu except upon termination of employment so your employer must make time for you to take your a/l

You can also claim from them any costs incurred or due as a result of your booking. As you are only taking a week off their notice period to cancel your leave is so far in time but the problem is the law gives minimum notice periods and says that the employer must object before half of the notice period expires so theoretically your employer is supposed to say no to your holiday at the beginning of July rather than now.

I would tell them that there are no alternative dates for you to take your holiday and ask to know in writing why you cant take it as requested.